[comp.unix.sysv386] security of Interactive powerdown login

eric@mks.com (Eric Gisin) (11/10/90)

Having no password on the "powerdown" userid in Interactive UNIX
is a major but non-obvious security risk. Make sure it has the root password.

If you want a more secure password-less powerdown userid
and you have Interactive 2.2, you can change the shell for powerdown
to /usr/admin/powerdown and add the following lines to the top of
the /usr/admin/powerdown shell script:
	#! /bin/sh
	PATH=/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/lbin export PATH

In article <1990Nov9.212510.9086@mks.com> eric@mks.com (Eric Gisin) writes:
>If you want a more secure password-less powerdown userid
>and you have Interactive 2.2, you can change the shell for powerdown
>to /usr/admin/powerdown and add the following lines to the top of
>the /usr/admin/powerdown shell script:

NEVER NEVER NEVER have a root account without a password.  There are too
many chances for it to be exploited.

Look at what could happen:

	cpcahil(virtech,61): id
	uid=100(cpcahil) gid=7(opadmin)
	cpcahil(virtech,63): su powerdown
	# id
	uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

eric@femto.mks.com (Eric Gisin) (11/13/90)

In article <1990Nov10.132459.10900@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

   In article <1990Nov9.212510.9086@mks.com> eric@mks.com (Eric Gisin) writes:
   >If you want a more secure password-less powerdown userid
   >and you have Interactive 2.2, you can change the shell for powerdown
   >to /usr/admin/powerdown and add the following lines to the top of
   >the /usr/admin/powerdown shell script:

   NEVER NEVER NEVER have a root account without a password.  There are too
   many chances for it to be exploited.

   Look at what could happen:

	   cpcahil(virtech,61): id
	   uid=100(cpcahil) gid=7(opadmin)
	   cpcahil(virtech,63): su powerdown
	   # id
	   uid=0(root) gid=0(root)

Oops, I meant to give a two part fix. First change /usr/admin/powerdown
into an executable shell script that sets a secure PATH and IFS.
But I forgot the second part, change the shell in /etc/passwd from
/bin/rsh to /usr/admin/powerdown.  This avoids "su powerdown" problem.

There is still the issue of allowing users to run a shell script as root,
either through password-less root accounts or setuid shell scripts.
Is it considered a bad idea even for simple shell scripts?
Is setting a secure PATH/IFS and being careful with eval and `...` enough?