[comp.unix.sysv386] Intel 4.0 and SCSI/ESDI

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (11/13/90)

I've noticed that several people have said that they're using Intel Sys V 4.0.
Is anybody combining an ESDI controller with a SCSI controller under that OS?
I'd currently running a WD1007 controller with a pair of Siemens ESDI drives.
I'd like to add a SCSI controller (probably the Adaptec 1542) and a good-sized
CDC or Maxtor drive.  Some questions:

Does the controller with the floppy controller have to be the boot controller?
(In other words, would I need to disable the floppy port on the WD if I wanted
to boot off a SCSI drive?  I'd like to keep things as much the same as
possible --- the major thing that seems to bring down systems is change, not
wearing out.)

Is it possible to boot from the SCSI controller instead of the ESDI controller?

Have you had any "gotchas" under any OS using SCSI with ESDI?

Would I be better off to sell the ESDI units and replace them with all SCSI?

As always, thanks!

--
Public Access UNIX (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400 N81) --- Read alt.books.technical

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/13/90)

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) writes:

>I've noticed that several people have said that they're using Intel Sys V 4.0.
>Is anybody combining an ESDI controller with a SCSI controller under that OS?

The release notes specifically mention that the mixing of SCSI and other
types of controllers is not supported.

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)