[comp.unix.sysv386] ULIMIT

jay@banzai.PCC.COM (Jay Schuster) (09/01/90)

In <1990Aug26.192516.2755@pilikia.pegasus.com> art@pilikia.pegasus.com (Art Neilson) writes:
>In article <941@helens.Stanford.EDU> yergeau@EE-CF.Stanford.EDU (Daniel W. Yergeau) writes:
>>How do you increase the ULIMIT parameter?
>In ISC UNIX, you can just add the following line:
>ULIMIT=nnnnn
>to the file /etc/default/login.

Note that this does not change the ULIMIT for processes spawned by init,
such as cron.  (Yes, we were bitten by this).

The second solution give is a good solution (idtune'ing it up), or, in
our case, we changed rc2.d/S75cron to set the ulimit based on what was
in the /etc/default/login file.
--
Jay Schuster <jay@pcc.COM>	uunet!uvm-gen!banzai!jay, attmail!banzai!jay
The People's Computer Company	`Revolutionary Programming'

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (11/09/90)

In article <1990Nov07.132936.6397@virtech.uucp> cpcahil@virtech.UUCP (Conor P. Cahill) writes:

>See the FAQP for info on how to change your ULIMIT.

Conor, that's fine for ISC 2.0.2 or 2.2. However, some of us out here
are running 1.0.6 (don't tell me to upgrade, this is a MultiBus machine,
not an ATclone, and there ain't no upgrade). I've run into the ulimit
problem in the past; as has another system inhouse working with large
databases.

If ANYONE out there knows how to increase the kernal ULIMIT under
ISC 1.0.6, PLEASE either post or email the information. I've dug
thru everything I can find in the/etc/conf/modules directories, and
the include files, with NO success.

I think this would be justifiably added to the FAQ posting, once
somebody provides the info.

Thanks,
--
Gary Heston System Mismanager and technoflunky uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.  SCI Systems, Inc.     gary@sci34hub.sci.com

support@ism780c.isc.com (Support account) (11/10/90)

In article <798@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>If ANYONE out there knows how to increase the kernal ULIMIT under
>ISC 1.0.6, PLEASE either post or email the information. I've dug
>thru everything I can find in the/etc/conf/modules directories, and

From ancient memory, ULIMIT in that release was set
along with other tunables. The path to the file
which held the values began with /etc/atconf. You
should be able to search in subdirectories under that
for a configuration directory. The most simple way
to set ULIMIT would be to use "kconfig", configure a
kernel, and add tunable parameters, entering the tunable
name and a value. Kconfig would update the file with
the tunable values, then you should rebuild the kernel.
Hope this helps.

jcj@rlgvax.UUCP (Jeff Jones) (11/14/90)

In article <50316@ism780c.isc.com> support@ism780c.UUCP (Support account) writes:
>In article <798@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>>If ANYONE out there knows how to increase the kernal ULIMIT under
>>ISC 1.0.6, PLEASE either post or email the information. I've dug
>>thru everything I can find in the/etc/conf/modules directories, and
>
>From ancient memory, ULIMIT in that release was set
>along with other tunables. The path to the file
>which held the values began with /etc/atconf. You

Also from ancient memory, but here goes:

	We had problems once upon a time with this, and it turned out that
	ULIMIT was not the name of the tunable parameter for ulimit (nice,
	huh?).  I believe it was CDLIMIT, and, yes, the easiest way to change
	it was kconfig--->configure kernel--->add tunable parameters.

Gary, let me know if this works (hope it does....).

--
Jeff Jones		easy: jcj@{ropes,rlgvax}.opcr.icl.com	[Go Cubs!]
ICL Inc.		hard: uunet!rlgvax!jcj			[Next Year!]