[comp.unix.sysv386] Compatibility lists

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (11/11/90)

Reference has been made to the compatibility with various hardware of
Esix, ISC, etc., a number of times recently.

It seems kind of silly that current compatibility lists from all the
vendors are not available in this forum.  It's not that there's a whole
lot of data, or that they're hard to come by, but it sure seems like it.

What can we do to get the current compatibility lists from Esix, ISC,
SCO, Dell, UHC and the others made available here?

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

fangchin@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.143254.2666@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>It seems kind of silly that current compatibility lists from all the
>vendors are not available in this forum.  It's not that there's a whole
>lot of data, or that they're hard to come by, but it sure seems like it.
In the case of ESIX, I don't feel the compatibility list is comprehensive
enough, especially for motherboards.  I have tried ESIX rev.B - ESIX rev. D
on several systems assembled using no-name motherboards with good results.
However, they were all exercises to satisfy my curiosity.  I confess these
"exercises" were not comprehensive either (or even rigorous). But if you
want ESIX's latest compatibility list, you always can call ESIX marketing
at Freemont, California.  It will be mailed to you.  I have done so. People
at ESIX marketing are quite helpful too.

>What can we do to get the current compatibility lists from Esix, ISC,
>SCO, Dell, UHC and the others made available here?

What I would like to suggest here is that people contribute their experience
with different hardware using all flavor of 386 Unices. So that other then
these official compatibility lists that you can get from unix vendors, we
here can have a net-confirmed compatiblity list for all 386 Unices.  Anyone
who wants to take up such a project?   Ideally such a list would be distributed
like the really helpful FAQ from virtual technology.
>--
>Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
[Rockwell International, Rocketdyne Div.]
fangchin@portia.stanford.edu
fang@rocket.cadcam.rok.com

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.143254.2666@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

>What can we do to get the current compatibility lists from Esix, ISC,
>SCO, Dell, UHC and the others made available here?

I agree that on-line copy is easier to deal with --- but failing that,
you can call Esix Sales at 415-683-3749.  I'm sure they'd be happy to
send you a hardware compatibility list.

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

calhoun@usaos.uucp (Warren D. Calhoun) (11/12/90)

In <1990Nov11.190952.24003@portia.Stanford.EDU>
	fangchin@portia.Stanford.EDU (Chin Fang) writes:

>>What can we do to get the current compatibility lists from Esix, ISC,
>>SCO, Dell, UHC and the others made available here?

>What I would like to suggest here is that people contribute their experience
>with different hardware using all flavor of 386 Unices. So that other then
>these official compatibility lists that you can get from unix vendors, we
>here can have a net-confirmed compatiblity list for all 386 Unices.  Anyone
>who wants to take up such a project?   Ideally such a list would be distributed
>like the really helpful FAQ from virtual technology.

  I have been stung by the "compatability bug" more than once.  I think that
this idea has merit and could probably be coerced into maintaining it.  I am
not a *nix guru or anything, but I can afford the time to collect and reduce
the compatability data and make a periodic posting.  If I could find an archive
server package, I could even set up a hardware/software compatability archive
from which requests for specific combinations could be made.

[Twist my arm a little]

--
| SSG W.D. Calhoun                  |       UUCP: ...!uunet!usaos!calhoun    |
| Gas Turbine Engine (52F) Branch   |   INTERNET: calhoun%usaos@uunet.uu.net |

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/12/90)

Two cautions on these "compatibility lists":
	- They get out of date in a big hurry.
	- A software vendor's list includes what has been checked out in
	  one way or another; thus while presence of some hardware on a
	  list is a good sign, absence is not necessarily a bad sign.
With all the nameless motherboards (which probably come via a hundred
channels from about a dozen manufacturers, if that:-), various controllers,
odd bits of add-on hardware, etc., the things which *do* end up in compati-
bility lists are the big names, the squeaky wheels, and others which appear
for random reasons (like somebody in the company buying one and reporting
results).

Suggestion for a first cut:  Make an INcompatibility list instead.  That
is, keep track of everything that someone has tried and failed.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   Cellular phones: more deadly than marijuana.

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov11.143254.2666@pegasus.com>, richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
> Reference has been made to the compatibility with various hardware of
> Esix, ISC, etc., a number of times recently.
>
> It seems kind of silly that current compatibility lists from all the
> vendors are not available in this forum.  It's not that there's a whole
> lot of data, or that they're hard to come by, but it sure seems like it.
>
> What can we do to get the current compatibility lists from Esix, ISC,
> SCO, Dell, UHC and the others made available here?

Why don't you call these companies, get their lists, and type them in? :-)

Seriously, if you want a compatibility list, the vendors are very happy to
send them out.  Just call up a sales rep and ask.

I'm posting this mostly to point out that anyone who is building 386/486
systems to run any type of UNIX on should aquire these lists FIRST!!!

Also, I've found that the lists should not always be taken too seriously.
There is a lot of well-supported hardware and software out there that will
work fine with UNIX.  I've found the best method for me is:

1.  Look at the compatibility lists.

If you're interested in something that's not on the list, then:

2.  Call the UNIX vendor and ask.
3.  Call the hardware/software company and ask.

				Jay Ts
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

In <1990Nov12.070444.8046@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:

>Two cautions on these "compatibility lists":
>	- They get out of date in a big hurry.
>	- A software vendor's list includes what has been checked out in
>	  one way or another; thus while presence of some hardware on a
>	  list is a good sign, absence is not necessarily a bad sign.
>With all the nameless motherboards (which probably come via a hundred
>channels from about a dozen manufacturers, if that:-), various controllers,
>odd bits of add-on hardware, etc., the things which *do* end up in compati-
>bility lists are the big names, the squeaky wheels, and others which appear
>for random reasons (like somebody in the company buying one and reporting
>results).

>Suggestion for a first cut:  Make an INcompatibility list instead.  That
>is, keep track of everything that someone has tried and failed.

  That was my idea, essentially.  Not so much a compatability list in the sense
that the manufacturer provides them, but a database of experiences with certain
hardware/software configurations.  This would not be meant to replace the lists
that come from the manufacturer but rather, supplement them with information on
some combinations that they do not list.  Obviously, this could not be a truly
definitive database, or one that would be deemed "official".  It would merely
be something to lay out real-use information to interested parties.
--

jmm@eci386.uucp (John Macdonald) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov12.070444.8046@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
|Two cautions on these "compatibility lists":
|	- They get out of date in a big hurry.
|	- A software vendor's list includes what has been checked out in
|	  one way or another; thus while presence of some hardware on a
|	  list is a good sign, absence is not necessarily a bad sign.

In addition, you have to worry about the number of on-board switches,
installation options, and kernel options that are available.  Just
because one person succeeds or fails to amke a combination of
hardware and software work does not mean that someone else (or even
the same person working from a different starting point) will be
able to duplicate that success or failure.  Aren't open systems
with minimal standards fun?
--
Cure the common code...                      | John Macdonald
...Ban Basic      - Christine Linge          |   jmm@eci386