[comp.unix.sysv386] How many virtual consoles in 386/ix?

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) (11/13/90)

The Subject and Summary say it all. Is there a way to have more
than 8 virtual consoles in 386/ix?

Wolf
--
Wolf N. Paul, UNIX SysAdmin, IIASA, A - 2361 Laxenburg, Austria, Europe
PHONE: +43-2236-71521-465     FAX: +43-2236-71313      UUCP: uunet!iiasa!wnp

In article <940@iiasa.UUCP> wnp%iiasa@relay.eu.net (wolf paul) writes:

>The Subject and Summary say it all. Is there a way to have more
>than 8 virtual consoles in 386/ix?

RTFFAQP. (Namely question 15).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/13/90)

wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) writes:

>The Subject and Summary say it all. Is there a way to have more
>than 8 virtual consoles in 386/ix?

>Wolf

Did you try doing what was listed in the FAQ?

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

david@csource.oz.au (david nugent) (11/15/90)

In <940@iiasa.UUCP> wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) writes:

> The Subject and Summary say it all. Is there a way to have more
> than 8 virtual consoles in 386/ix?

Can't answer the above definitively, but I suspect the answer is "no".

But my question is related.  SCO Xenix had a pretty neat facility which
provided multiscreens to terminals other than the console.  In fact, with
a little inventiveness, I took advantage of this in a terminal package
I wrote and provided full SCO console capability, complete with switching
screens using the Alt-Fx keys, even on a serial connection.

First question; is this available in SCO Unix? (I haven't seen it yet, but
will do soon).

Secondly, I'd like to know if anyone has seen anything like this for
ISC Unix.  No, I'm not talking about shl, but something much better -
full screen save capability, much like it works on the console.  Since
I'm about to modify the terminal to do AT386 emulation, I'd love to put
something like this in.  I'm sure a few of our existing clients running
ISC would like it even better. :-)

Thirdly, under either ISC or SCO - does this sort of facility work ok
with ptys as well as standard ttys?  I mean without necessarily using
another pty port, instead of running another telnet session.

    david
--

        Fidonet: 3:632/348   SIGnet: 28:4100/1  Imex: 90:833/387
              Data:  +61-3-885-7864   Voice: +61-3-826-6711
 Internet/ACSnet: david@csource.oz.au    Uucp: ..!uunet!munnari!csource!david