[comp.unix.sysv386] Need help: NFS to Apollos

jensen@cod.NOSC.MIL (Layne K. Jensen) (11/14/90)

We have an Intel System V/386 system (which acts as a front end for an
Intel iPSC/860 supercomputer system).  We have been trying to use the
Network File System that runs on the 386 system to mount the file
systems on our Apollo network.

When logged in as superuser on the 386 we have no problem mounting and
using the Apollo, but as a normal user it doesn't work, giving various
strange error messages.  (For example, when trying to "cd" to the mounted
directory, it prints the message "Arg list too long".)  It appears to be
a problem with the Apollo granting permission to a "normal" user, but we
have set the permissions on the directories so that shouldn't be the case.

Has anyone out there tried to get these animals to talk with each other?
We have tried the same thing to a Sun system (instead of the Apollo), and
that seemed to work fine.

Thanks for your help,

Layne Jensen                           jensen@nosc.MIL
Naval Ocean Systems Center             ...!sdcsvax!noscvax!jensen
San Diego, CA
--
Layne Jensen                           jensen@nosc.MIL
Naval Ocean Systems Center             ...!sdcsvax!noscvax!jensen
San Diego, CA

kerr@tron.UUCP (Dave Kerr) (11/16/90)

In article <2461@cod.NOSC.MIL> jensen@cod.NOSC.MIL (Layne K. Jensen) writes:

[ using sysV/386 and nfs to apollo description deleted ]

>strange error messages.  (For example, when trying to "cd" to the mounted
>directory, it prints the message "Arg list too long".)  It appears to be
>a problem with the Apollo granting permission to a "normal" user, but we
>have set the permissions on the directories so that shouldn't be the case.

I get this same error when mounting an apollo filesystem on
an Ultrix VAX. Mounting the Ultrix filesystem on the apollo works
OK however. I've tried this with both 10.1 and 10.2 of Domain/OS.

>Has anyone out there tried to get these animals to talk with each other?
>We have tried the same thing to a Sun system (instead of the Apollo), and
>that seemed to work fine.

I also had no problems going to the suns, nor do we have problems going
from ultrix <-> sun. I've got a call into apollo on this, they're sending a
patch for nfs to see if that clears it up.

Dave

--
Dave Kerr (301) 765-4453 (WIN)765-4453
tron::kerr                 Internal WEC vax mail