[comp.unix.sysv386] still working on the Wordperfect 5.1 problem

bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) (11/13/90)

I've posted several messages, and conversed with several people regarding
the problem I have trying to run WordPerfect 5.1 (DOS) on VP/ix on an
Esix Rev D system.  The Interactive support people are no help, pointing
their finger at the Unix people (saying it's a spooler problem), and the
Esix people haven't run across this one.  (I know it is NOT the spooler,
because when I save printfiles from WP and try to print them on a "real"
PC, the same problem occurs).   The problem, as many of you may remember,
is that WordPerfect works "perfectly" :-) until I try to print -- then
all I get is a bunch of blank pages, no text.

Several people suggested variations of trying to run wp with the files
located either on a Unix partition or on the virtual C: drive.  Neither
worked.  Then someone suggested that maybe the files need to be on a
"real" DOS partition.  I tried putting the document file on a dos floppy,
but that didn't make any difference.  The only remaining thing to try
would be to put ALL of WP on a "real" DOS partition.  There's the catch:
On VP/ix, it *isn't possible* to reference a "real" DOS partition!

I have seen a few suggestions about how to do this, but haven't heard
of anyone that's had any success with it.  Anyone out there have any
information on how to make this work?  It would seem that one would
need to something like this:  'mount -t DOS /dev/dsk/0s0 /dospart'.

Thanks in advance...

--
home:	...!{uunet,bloom-beacon,esegue}!world!unixland!bill
	bill@unixland.uucp,  bill%unixland.uucp@world.std.com

ignatz@chinet.chi.il.us (Dave Ihnat) (11/16/90)

In article <1990Nov12.222402.10070@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>...  There's the catch:
>On VP/ix, it *isn't possible* to reference a "real" DOS partition!

I've not tried this, but it couldn't hurt (except your wallet.)  AT&T
has reworked VP/ix rather significantly; in particular, it readily supports
"real" DOS partitions.  (In addition, there are a lot of "edge-smoothing"
changes, plus the virtual device interface, that make it really usable.)  The
part I'm talking about that I've not tried is running AT&T's SimulTask with
other than AT&T's System V.  There's no reason I can see that it *shouldn't*
work, but...

Frankly, however, my first suggestion is to bag running WP under DOS emulation.
No matter what you do, you degrade the performance of your 386 system a *lot*
when running in emulation mode.  We've had good luck with WordPerfect's
native Unix product--in fact, even though it wasn't certified for AT&T
System V/386, but rather Xenix, it's been successfully running for a client
for over 6 months now.  The combination of WP Office (the Unix version of
the DOS "Library" product) and native Unix WP has worked out quite nicely,
although you may have to spend a while on the terminal setup before you turn
your users loose with it.  The only real complaint (other than minor bugs,
probably fixed in the now-supported native version) is that the keyboard
layout is different for different terminals--i.e., you no longer can memorize
"Alt-F7" for every case.  But this is an unavoidable side-effect of supporting
myriad different terminals in the new environment.

	Dave Ihnat
	ignatz@homebru.chi.il.us