[comp.unix.sysv386] Performance differences between 386 Unices

mcneild@mcneild.Software.Mitel.COM (Doug McNeil) (11/11/90)

First thanks to those who helped with my ULIMIT problem...

As the subject says I'm interested in comparing the performance of the
various flavours of UNIX running on 386's. Do porters usually do
significant performance tuning? ESIX, for example, advertises
performance specs which are significantly better than SCO 3.2. Driver
differences I understand, but things like _system_call_overhead_? Do
these people actually tweak the AT&T sources (and should this make us
happy, apprehensive?)?

(My interest stems from misspent youth, when I used to toil untold hours
writing in assembler, trying to extract more oomph from PDP-11's ;-)

Thanks

--
----------------------------------------------------------------------------->
"Smokin" Doug McNeil			| ...!uunet!mitel!spock!mcneild

  I have no doubt that the results Everex quotes so frequently are true,
in that they really ran benchmarks of some nature and got the results
they show. I have not verified that this reflects the number I would get
from another benchmark, or that either is a good predictor of how well
the system would perform under normal load.

  When I benchmark I do measure system call overhead, but only for a few
calls. I use getuid(), since that is unlikely to involve any i/o in a
rational system.

  I also measure file system throughput for single large files. I write
a single file of size 6MB or size of physical memory, whichever is
larger. I then read it back in. I measure the time it takes and get a
write speed and read speed. I find this useful to me, because it
reflects performance on the largest file I am like to copy on a regular
basis on that machine. I realize that caching will help the performance,
but it will in real application, too, so that's fair.

  Using this test of disk performance I find that SCO Xenix has better
performance than any of the V.3 or V.4 variants I've tried.

  Test conditions: unloaded system, multiuser mode, typically 4MB to 8MB
memory. Write performed by a C program looping writing 1k blocks. Time
from the time system call.

  You are the sole judge of how well the results of this test apply to
any productive work you may run on the machine.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

fangchin@elaine41.stanford.edu (Chin Fang) (11/16/90)

bill>  Using this test of disk performance I find that SCO Xenix has better
bill>performance than any of the V.3 or V.4 variants I've tried.
bill>
bill>  Test conditions: unloaded system, multiuser mode, typically 4MB to 8MB
bill>memory. Write performed by a C program looping writing 1k blocks. Time
bill>from the time system call.
bill>
bill>  You are the sole judge of how well the results of this test apply to
bill>any productive work you may run on the machine.
bill>--
bill>bill davidsen - davidsen@sixhub.uucp (uunet!crdgw1!sixhub!davidsen)
Bill's test is very similar to a comprehensive test of sco xenix 386, micropot
386/at unix, enix(now esix) rev.a, and a few others conducted by MIPS magazine
(now Personal Workstation) about two years ago.  MIPS testers used very
similar machine configurations to Bill's. And most interestingly, their
conclusions are also close to Bill's given above. (MIPS obviously didn't have
R4 available for test, however)

I still remember that one MIPS tester mentioned that in terms of memory
requirement, SCO 386 xenix won hands down.  Over years of refinement(?), SCO
indeed reduced the kernal size of 386 than any of UNIX V5 R3.2.

People interested in what MIPS did can go to library and check it out. MIPS
is somewhat a new magazine started barely three years ago(?).

Chin Fang
Mechanical Engineering Department
Stanford University
[Rockwell International, Rocketdyne Div.]
fangchin@portia.stanford.edu
fang@rocket.cadcam.rok.com

david@talgras.UUCP (David Hoopes) (11/16/90)

In article <2285@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:

>  Using this test of disk performance I find that SCO Xenix has better
>performance than any of the V.3 or V.4 variants I've tried.

I did some testing awhile back comparing file access speed on SCO Xenix
2.3.2 and SCO Unix 3.2

My tests involved reading 10 1meg files, 200 small files in one directory,
and about 50 small files each in its own directory.  Both tests where
performed on the same 33mhz 386 and the same type of hard drives.  I was
trying to find out how fast I could read these files off of the filesytem.
I used the following command and timed it with a stop watch:

tar cvf /dev/null filenames

With a brand new filesystem:

	Xenix averaged 13 meg/min
	Unix averaged 23 meg/min

I ran a shell script that backed up the files to tape, removed the
files, restored the files, and then tested them (I was testing the
tape driver), and then repeated.  I let it run for 24 hours and then
repeated the time test.

	Xenix averaged 3 meg/min
	Unix averaged 22 meg/min

Unix was faster to start with and had very little degredation from the
repeated writing and removing the files.

David Hoopes                              Tallgras Technologies Inc.
uunet!talgras!david                       11100 W 82nd St.
Voice: (913) 492-6002 x323                Lenexa, Ks  66214