[comp.unix.sysv386] Can't boot, system reboots!

tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) (11/18/90)

Esix 5.3.2. C
I changed my port setup, via initasy, and change the boot message
in /etc/default/boot
then rebuilt kernel, and powered down

now, after the new boot message disp[lays, the machine hard resets!

what could have happened?
should i boot the floppy and run the quick recover routine?
aaak!

aarrgh..
Tim
.

In article <1990Nov17.223421.26047@mercury.cair.du.edu> tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) writes:
>Esix 5.3.2. C
>I changed my port setup, via initasy, and change the boot message
>in /etc/default/boot then rebuilt kernel, and powered down
>now, after the new boot message disp[lays, the machine hard resets!

When the boot message displays, hit a key (you have to do this immediatly).
It should then ask you which file to boot and you should respond with
OLD.unix (assuming that is where ESIX puts your old unix kernel when you
build a new one).

If this still doesn't boot, get you boot diskette, boot the system on that,
fsck then mount your root filesystem on /mnt, cp /etc/default/boot
/mnt/etc/default/boot, go hunt around for the old unix kernel that
should be lying around somewhere, when you find it, move it to /unix.
Then cd /, umount /mnt, uadmin 2 0, remove floppy, reboot.

If this still doesn't work, restore your entire system because you probably
changed something else that you apparently don't remember.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170