[comp.unix.sysv386] What ....... Dell UNIX V.4

dewey@dell.dell.com (Dewey Coffman) (11/08/90)

In article <1990Nov07.014539.10187@scuzzy.in-berlin.de> src@scuzzy.in-berlin.de (Heiko Blume) writes:
>wnp@iiasa.AT (wolf paul) writes:
>>)Dell will also
>>)offer an upgrade kit to allow users of Dell UNIX System V Release
>>)3.2 to upgrade to Dell UNIX SVR4.  The upgrade kit is priced at
>>)$399 and will also be available from Dell in late November.
>
>>Now there is a decent upgrade offer. I am sorry I did not start out with Dell's
>>UNIX.
>
>what is "DELL UNIX SVR4"? the runtime system? or does it include the
>development system, tcp/ip, nfs, etc? in the latter case it would be
>a real cheap upgrade!

	It includes the development systems (AT&T ANSI C, X11R4, Xview)
	TCP/IP, NFS, PC-Interface, SLIP, DOS-Merge, RCS, emacs, gdb
	Cnews, rn, nn, nntp, elm, mh.... lots more.

	Some of other people selling V.4 are selling the the 1.0 verison.
	Dell's verison is 2.0, this has all sort of enhancements and bug
	fixes that are not in the 1.0 verison.

	To get on the Dell V.4 mailing list (Snail Mail) send your postal
	address to:

	info@dell.com
	uunet!info
--
	Dewey Coffman
	Dell Computer Corp.

In article <1990Nov8.001536.10818@dell.dell.com> dewey@dell.dell.com (Dewey Coffman) writes:

>	To get on the Dell V.4 mailing list (Snail Mail) send your postal
>	address to:
>
>	info@dell.com
>	uunet!info
	^^^^^^^^^^^

	obviously this is wrong, this should be

	uunet!dell!info

	I can hardly wait for the hate mail from the guys at uunet ;-)

	dewey
--

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/09/90)

dewey@dell.dell.com (Dewey Coffman) writes:

>>	info@dell.com
>>	uunet!info
>	^^^^^^^^^^^

>	obviously this is wrong, this should be

>	uunet!dell!info

also dell.com is not registered with the uucp mapping project -
as my mailer can't route to dell.com -  but it can route to dell
 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

james@bigtex.cactus.org (James Van Artsdalen) (11/10/90)

In <1990Nov09.115149.16980@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) wrote:

|	info@dell.com

> also dell.com is not registered with the uucp mapping project -
> as my mailer can't route to dell.com -  but it can route to dell

Domain dell.com is fully registered with the NIC, nameserver
uunet/seismo, forwarder cs.utexas.edu.  "whois dell.com" gives the
correct information.

If mail to .dell.com doesn't work from your site, then your mailer
isn't passing domain mail up to a .com server for resolution.  See the
uucp map file d.Top for more info.  Passing the mail to any internet
site will do in reality.

The uucp maps DO contain the line

uudell	.dell.com

but like all domain names in the uucp maps, this is a convenience and
not authoritative.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@bigtex.cactus.org   "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Co    9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759         512-338-8789

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) (11/10/90)

>>what is "DELL UNIX SVR4"? the runtime system? or does it include the
>>development system, tcp/ip, nfs, etc? in the latter case it would be
>>a real cheap upgrade!

>	It includes the development systems (AT&T ANSI C, X11R4, Xview)
>	TCP/IP, NFS, PC-Interface, SLIP, DOS-Merge, RCS, emacs, gdb
>	Cnews, rn, nn, nntp, elm, mh.... lots more.

>	Some of other people selling V.4 are selling the the 1.0 verison.
>	Dell's verison is 2.0, this has all sort of enhancements and bug
>	fixes that are not in the 1.0 verison.

>	Dewey Coffman
>	Dell Computer Corp.

We will ship the 2.0 version very soon and I imagine most SVR4
vendors will do the same

Does Dell get its SVR4 from AT&T or from another source like Intel or ISC?

Does Dell's SVR4 support a wide range of hardware or mostly Dell hardware?

Does the complete manual set come with it or a subset?  I know the manuals
can be very expensive.  If you get the complete set from Prentice Hall, the
price is around $550 - closer to $600 after taxes.

Including compiled public domain programs is a nice idea - did you run into
any problems, especially with emacs?

Richard Ducoty

Richard Ducoty		         (*)(*)				duc@mport.COM
Microport Inc.		            \				uunet!mport!duc
voice=> (408) 438-8649	            <	 		  fax=> (408) 438-7560

linas@hparc0.HP.COM (Linas Petras) (11/10/90)

>	Some of other people selling V.4 are selling the the 1.0 verison.
>	Dell's verison is 2.0, this has all sort of enhancements and bug
>	fixes that are not in the 1.0 verison.

	So, can I ask what version Microport Inc is/will be shipping ???

Linas Petras 				#include <standard-disclaimer.h>

evan@telly.on.ca (Evan Leibovitch) (11/10/90)

In article <7@mport.COM> duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) writes:

>Does Dell get its SVR4 from AT&T or from another source like Intel or ISC?

I don't know about r4, but according to Dell people at trade shows,

Dell Unix 3.2 = Interactive + extra video drivers + Motif

Do the postings here indicate that Dell SysVr4 will not be spun off of ISC?

--
Evan Leibovitch, Sound Software, located in beautiful Brampton, Ontario
    evan@telly.on.ca / uunet!attcan!telly!evan / (416) 452-0504

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (11/11/90)

>>what is "DELL UNIX SVR4"? the runtime system? or does it include the
>>development system, tcp/ip, nfs, etc? in the latter case it would be
>>a real cheap upgrade!
>
>	It includes the development systems (AT&T ANSI C, X11R4, Xview)
>	TCP/IP, NFS, PC-Interface, SLIP, DOS-Merge, RCS, emacs, gdb
>	Cnews, rn, nn, nntp, elm, mh.... lots more.

Does the system come with the emacs and gdb sources or do you have to
request those separately?

What is the cost of support and future upgrades?

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (11/13/90)

In article <273C18CA.266B@telly.on.ca>, evan@telly.on.ca (Evan
Leibovitch) writes:

> Do the postings here indicate that Dell SysVr4 will not be spun off of ISC?

Yes.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299

In article <1990Nov11.010228.26052@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:

| Does the system come with the emacs and gdb sources or do you have to
| request those separately?

  I didn't see them, they are widely available.

| What is the cost of support and future upgrades?

  Have no idea, but there is supposed to be a BBS set up to provide bug
fixes, etc.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

dewey@dell.dell.com (Dewey Coffman) (11/16/90)

In article <2286@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <1990Nov11.010228.26052@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>
>| Does the system come with the emacs and gdb sources or do you have to
>| request those separately?
>
>  I didn't see them, they are widely available.

	They are downloadable from our Dell UNIX support machine.
	Dell UNIX System V.4 comes with a Systems, Devices, and Dialers
	files already set up for either a hayes or telebit modem on
	COM1 or COM2 or one of the multiport serial ports. Simply
	hook up a modem to a valid serial port and everything is
	set up for you to "uucp" the files. This is all covered in
	the "Getting Started Guide"

>| What is the cost of support and future upgrades?
>
>  Have no idea, but there is supposed to be a BBS set up to provide bug
>fixes, etc.

	I forwarded this request to our marketing people and they
	should be answering this to you personally in the next few
	days.

	dewey

--
	Dewey Coffman
	Dell Computer Corp.
	9505 Arboretum Blvd.		DOMAIN: dewey@dell.com
	Austin, TX 78759-7299 		UUCP: dell!dewey, sooner!dewey

feustel@netcom.UUCP (David Feustel) (11/17/90)

Does Dell's V4 system run on non-Dell machines?
How much does the complete 2-user system cost?
When will it be shipped?

--
David Feustel, 1930 Curdes Ave, Fort Wayne, IN 46805, (219) 482-9631

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (11/18/90)

On 16 Nov 90 20:21:36 GMT, seg@ingres.com (scott e garfinkle) said:

>Does Dell's SVR4 support a wide range of hardware or mostly Dell hardware?

The answer seems to be: they are not prepared to support you, but they
have not done anything to make it more specific to Dell hardware thant
the base SVR4 distribution.

seg> For those who are interested:  One of the key items I was interested in
seg> was the X servers they provide.  As near as I can tell from the answer,
seg> you can only get high-res from the Dell graphics boards.

They seem to have provided added value only for their platform. But I
think this is fair. Ah of course, this is not striclty true: for the GNU
sw they have provided added value (e.g. ELF/DWARF support) for all
platforms! Triple cheers! This is IMNHO a sufficient reason to go with
Dell (support people who support free sw).

However I have just received from the very kind people at Dell UK some
additional details, that have put me off it a bit, they are:

1) you need a minimum of 8MB memory to *install*; it will probably run
in much less, depending on how you reconfigure it and which options
(frills/nofrills) you choose, but install loads into RAM a 1.5MB kernel
and 6MB of RAM disks.

2) It only comes on one 150MB cartridge (plus boot floppies); a release
on two 60MB cartridges may well happen but is not considered urgent
because DELL no longer sells 60MB tape units.

3) the upgrade price only applies to existing costumers of DELL SVR3.2.

In every other respect the Dell SVR4 seems to be the right stuff.
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg