[comp.unix.sysv386] Warning to ESIX buyers.

smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) (11/15/90)

I have found a real gotcha in purchasing ESIX.

A few weeks ago I purchased an ESIX 2 user base system, a GUI
development toolkit and the NFS streams package.  I installed
the base system and the GUI development kit and played around with
it and my general impression was good.  Last week I started to
install some of the source packages I have only to find that there
were no libraries or compiler.  I look through the literature I
had and found that the base system was complete except for

"C Software Development (Optional)    CSDS   4 diskettes."

OK, I thought.  Well, maybe I'm going to have to put out more money
for this option.  I looked at their sales information and everything
I saw said that Development System was included.  I thought to
myself, well maybe they just forgot to put the disks in the package.
I call up ESIX tech support and they say, "Oh yeah, you just need
the CSDS.  Gee, I don't see it listed here on the price sheet.  Why
don't you call Ali at 415-683-2067.  He'll straighten it out for you."

Gosh, I thought.  Real people.  I called Ali and he said, "Talk to
your software distributor and have him call me.  I'm sure we can
work something out."

So I called the distributor and he called Ali and then my distributor
called me back with the story that Ali refused to tell me in person.

An ESIX 2 user base system can be purchased either with or without
the four diskettes that comprise the CSDS.  THERE IS NO OPTION THAT
CAN BE PURCHASED.  Thats right folks.  If you buy an ESIX 2 user base
system and don't ask for the CSDS, you will have to throw it away
if you ever want those 4 diskettes.

The deal is that I am being requested to buy a second ESIX base
system in order to get the libraries.

This is really deceptive practices.  I encourage everyone who cares
about these sorts of things to tell Ali at 415-683-2067.  I have
not been so mistreated by a software company in a long time.  I
am president and founder of Data Transforms, Inc.  We were the
first member of the Software Publishers Association.  This kind
of practice shines a foul light on all of the commercial developers
out there that spend time energy and money in trying to make sure
that customers get value for their money.

'Nuff said.

Steve.

--
 #====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#====#
 #  Steve Boker                #    Algorist: Adept at calculations -OED    #

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (11/15/90)

In article <473@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:
>An ESIX 2 user base system can be purchased either with or without
>the four diskettes that comprise the CSDS.  THERE IS NO OPTION THAT
>CAN BE PURCHASED.

>This is really deceptive practices.

I don't think so.  I've never seen anything in any ESIX literature or
anything from anyone who sells ESIX that stated or implied there was
an upgrade path from a non-development system to a development
system.  Similarly lacking is an upgrade path from 2 user to
unlimited user.  When I looked into buying ESIX, I never saw anything
called the "software development system package" or "unlimited user
upgrade."  Just because Interactive or others sell such packages is
no reason to assume ESIX does so as well.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (11/15/90)

In article <473@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:

>I have found a real gotcha in purchasing ESIX.
>
>A few weeks ago I purchased an ESIX 2 user base system, a GUI
>development toolkit and the NFS streams package.  I installed
>the base system and the GUI development kit and played around with
>it and my general impression was good.  Last week I started to
>install some of the source packages I have only to find that there
>were no libraries or compiler.  I look through the literature I
>had and found that the base system was complete except for
>
>"C Software Development (Optional)    CSDS   4 diskettes."

Sounds like you got the Rev D. *upgrade* package, which does not include
the CSDS, because it is unchanged from Rev C.  I'd go back and kick
and scream at your vendor until he gets you the *real* full release.

It might be a legitimate mix-up, or maybe your vendor is trying to
beat the system by buying $75 upgrades and selling them as the $625
complete package?  As far as I know, the only diff' between the upgrade
and the full package is the CSDS.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

I don't watch Twin Peaks; I just come to work.

scott@audiofax.com (Scott Lee) (11/17/90)

Having looked at the ESIX literature (and subsequently purchasing large
amounts of the software) I never saw anything that implied that there
was an upgrade path. There were 4 options; two users or infinite and
development or non-development. In addition, there were manuals and NFS
that you could purchase separately. The person from whom I was buying the
software even confirmed my choices, although I already knew what the
policy was, having read the literature.

I think that you're flaming a little hard at ESIX for something that you
are at least a fair amount to blame. The ESIX folks have been fairly
responsive and deserve some credit for putting out a pretty good product
at a good price.

Enjoy,
--
Scott Lee		AudioFAX, Inc. / Suite 200	Audio: +1 404 933 7600
scott@audiofax.com	2000 Powers Ferry Center	  Fax: +1 404 933 7606

conklin@frith.uucp (Terry Conklin) (11/17/90)

In article <473@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:
>I have not been so mistreated by a software company in a long time.  I
>am president and founder of Data Transforms, Inc.  We were the
>first member of the Software Publishers Association.  This kind
>of practice shines a foul light on all of the commercial developers
>out there...

ESIX has, in _every_ information packet ESIX has ever sent, included
their "Basic information packet" which specifies that there is no
upgrade. This is not to say that the practice of no upgrades is
acceptable.

On the other hand, it seems insanely inappropriate to talk about
'mistreatment' and then quote yourself as the first member of the
Software Publishers Association! One can hardly call the SPA's
"either you submit to our audit and fines or we sue you summarily" policy a
cornerstone of acceptable treatment!

Terry Conklin
conklin@egr.msu.edu
uunet!frith!conklin

daveg@usource.SARASOTA.FL.US (Dave Goodman) (11/18/90)

In article <473@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:

> I have found a real gotcha in purchasing ESIX.
>
>	[tale of woe re: lack of development system in ESIX]
>
> An ESIX 2 user base system can be purchased either with or without
> the four diskettes that comprise the CSDS.  THERE IS NO OPTION THAT
> CAN BE PURCHASED.  Thats right folks. If you buy an ESIX 2 user base
> system and don't ask for the CSDS, you will have to throw it away
> if you ever want those 4 diskettes.
>
> The deal is that I am being requested to buy a second ESIX base
> system in order to get the libraries.
>
> This is really deceptive practices.  I encourage everyone who cares
> about these sorts of things to tell Ali at 415-683-2067.  I have
> not been so mistreated by a software company in a long time.  ...

When I called ESIX for product information two or three months ago,
they sent me an information package which included a price sheet
showing four system options, plus GUI toolkit, NFS, etc.

The plainly listed options were 1) Esix/386 2-User, 2) Esix/386 Unlimited,
3) Esix/386 2-User w/CSDS, and 4) Esix/386 Unlimited w/CSDS.  The info
sheet plainly stated:

"There is no upgrade from a 2-User license to an Unlimited User license.
 And there is no upgrade from the Complete ESIX/386 package to the
 Complete ESIX/386 with Software Extensions package."

I don't argue that ESIX and it's customers are well served by this
policy, but since it is stated up front in their sales literature
I hardly think it is a deceptive practice.
--

Dave Goodman
daveg@usource.sarasota.fl.us

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (11/18/90)

In article <2267@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>In article <473@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:
>>An ESIX 2 user base system can be purchased either with or without
>>the four diskettes that comprise the CSDS.  THERE IS NO OPTION THAT
>>CAN BE PURCHASED.
>
>>This is really deceptive practices.
>
>I don't think so.  I've never seen anything in any ESIX literature or
>anything from anyone who sells ESIX that stated or implied there was
>an upgrade path from a non-development system to a development
>system.  Similarly lacking is an upgrade path from 2 user to
>unlimited user.  When I looked into buying ESIX, I never saw anything
>called the "software development system package" or "unlimited user
>upgrade."  Just because Interactive or others sell such packages is
>no reason to assume ESIX does so as well.

Boy!  What a vendors delight this guy is.  Someone please revoke his
"Fight Back" T-shirt immediately.

What's wrong with assuming that vendors will act reasonably, and
complaining when they don't?

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov17.230456.17516@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>In article <2267@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>>Just because Interactive or others sell such packages is
>>no reason to assume ESIX does so as well.

>What's wrong with assuming that vendors will act reasonably, and
>complaining when they don't?

Why do you consider it "unreasonable" that ESIX doesn't sell upgrade
package X, Y or Z?  Does the fact that these packages are sold by a
competing vendor -- whose product costs hundreds of dollars more --
mean that ESIX must also sell them?  As far as I'm concerned, ESIX
works as advertised.  They never claimed certain upgrade paths
existed (in fact, it was pointed out that they *didn't* exist), and I
planned my ESIX purchase accordingly.

I don't think it's "reasonable" to expect Porsche performance and
options at a Toyota price.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)

jamesd@techbook.com (James Deibele) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov17.230456.17516@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>In article <2267@jwt.UUCP> john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) writes:
>>In article <473@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:
>>>An ESIX 2 user base system can be purchased either with or without
>>>the four diskettes that comprise the CSDS.  THERE IS NO OPTION THAT
>>>CAN BE PURCHASED.
>>>This is really deceptive practices.
>>I don't think so.  I've never seen anything in any ESIX literature or
>>anything from anyone who sells ESIX that stated or implied there was
>>an upgrade path from a non-development system to a development
>What's wrong with assuming that vendors will act reasonably, and
>complaining when they don't?

Nothing.  But you're accusing ESIX of acting in a deceptive manner, which
several people have pointed out is dead wrong.  Yes, it'd be nice to see
ESIX offer upgrades, from the basic 2-user system to any of the other
packages.  If enough people urge them to do it, they may very well do so ---
in the relatively short time they've been around, they've shown that they
do listen to their customers.  They're now talking of offering an upgrade
path to R4.0, which is what we'd all like to see.  But if they don't, they
have consistently said that they weren't going to offer such an upgrade.

Deceptive == lying.  Maybe somebody didn't think to ask if they could
upgrade, assuming that they could, and were angry when they found out they
couldn't.  Well, ESIX in their product literature and over the phone will
tell you that you can't.  They've not lied about anything.  I'd like to see
upgrades, and on-line manuals, and X11R4.  But ESIX delivers what they
promise: a solid product at a good price.

--
Public Access UNIX at (503) 644-8135 (1200/2400) Voice: +1 503 646-8257
Authorized ESIX, SCO resellers --- Great products at a GREAT price

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (11/20/90)

In article <473@datran2.uunet> smb@datran2.uunet (Steven M. Boker) writes:
>An ESIX 2 user base system can be purchased either with or without
>the four diskettes that comprise the CSDS.  THERE IS NO OPTION THAT
>CAN BE PURCHASED.  Thats right folks.
Yes this is right..... You should pick well which one you buy, also
notice there is no upgrade between 2 user and unlimited user versions.

> If you buy an ESIX 2 user base
>system and don't ask for the CSDS, you will have to throw it away
>if you ever want those 4 diskettes.

WRONG. If you look at a ESIX Price list you will see that the 2-User version
with Software Development will run you $595 and the unlimited user $825.
Also if you look at the price list you see the versions with out C. These are
for people who are putting losts of copies of ESIX at a site and only need one
copy of the complier. Only way ESIX has been advertised in the Full unlimited
user version with C. But like I said pick well you can not change after.
BTW this polity in written out on the price list.

>This is really deceptive practices.  I encourage everyone who cares
>about these sorts of things to tell Ali at 415-683-2067.  I have
>not been so mistreated by a software company in a long time.  I
>am president and founder of Data Transforms, Inc.  We were the
>first member of the Software Publishers Association.  This kind
>of practice shines a foul light on all of the commercial developers
>out there that spend time energy and money in trying to make sure
>that customers get value for their money.

I think it was the fault of the dealer for not telling you all of the
information and partly your fault for not reading the price list your self.
The price list and other things like compatability lists are free from ESIX.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705