[comp.unix.sysv386] How do I disable FFS?

tima@bcs800.UUCP (Tim Addington) (11/13/90)

I recently upgraded my system to a 650 Meg SCSI drive.  My question is
is there anyway to speed up the mounting and dismounting of the various
filesystems.  It is taking about 10 minutes now to bring up and shut down
the system.  Is this due to the Fast File System or the High Performance
Disk Driver or what.  I would like to disable this while I am setting up the
system.

The system is configured as follows:

	ISC 2.2
	Micropolis 680 SCSI Drive
	Adaptec 1542A Controller
	8 Meg RAM
	386/25

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (11/14/90)

In <1110@bcs800.UUCP> tima@bcs800.UUCP (Tim Addington) writes:

>I recently upgraded my system to a 650 Meg SCSI drive.  My question is
>is there anyway to speed up the mounting and dismounting of the various
>filesystems.  It is taking about 10 minutes now to bring up and shut down
>the system.  Is this due to the Fast File System or the High Performance
>Disk Driver or what.  I would like to disable this while I am setting up the
>system.

Do you have everything on the root partition or do you have the drive
partitioned more "normally". If you have one large partition, you will
definitely see this. I know that in Dell UNIX (ISC derived), the slow
mounting "problem" was fixed in version 1.1.
Don't know if this helps !

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Dell Computer Corp. (UK), Bracknell  | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

itwaf@wafbox.UUCP (Bill Fulton) (11/15/90)

In <1110@bcs800.UUCP> tima@bcs800.UUCP (Tim Addington) writes:
>I recently upgraded my system to a 650 Meg SCSI drive.  My question is
>is there anyway to speed up the mounting and dismounting of the various
>filesystems.  It is taking about 10 minutes now to bring up and shut down
>the system.  Is this due to the Fast File System or the High Performance
>Disk Driver or what.  I would like to disable this while I am setting up the
>system.

I asked the same question in this group several weeks ago, and got several
very good responses, by mail. Many told me, quite politely, to RTFM. Connor
Cahill (a great contributer to this group and many others, BTW) even gave me
the page number for ISC. Here's a paraphrase of the answers I got:

The FFS (Fast File System) gives a dramatic increase in file system
performance. The main trade-offs seem to be:
> Slow mounts and dismounts - Because the entire (?) free list is read into
memory, and kept in memory until the dismount, at which time the entire free
list is written back to the partition(s). I have 750Mb of disk space (2
disks), and it does take a very long time.
> An arguably more fragile file system on crashes. (Not really much more
fragile - but you get a *very* scary diagnostic from fsck when you bring the
system back up. The doc warns you of this, and says that it's just a side-
effect of the free list being out of sync). I have always found that fsck was
able to recover very well.

It is the free list load/unload that is taking all this time. My system (ISC)
doc says the "solution" is to disable the FFS; by installing the "old style"
2K file system. I haven't tried it yet, but probably will do so on my home
system, and leave the work system as is. Note that, on ISC, the default file
system is FFS, and the 2K system is an optional driver.

Here's another approach: I put the mount of the bigger disk (600Mb) in the
background. The root and /usr partitions (150Mb disk) are mounted relatively
quickly, and the /usr2 is dedicated to an application. The ISC system seems
to be very good about handling any request to the /usr2 system as it is being
mounted - all requests just freeze until the mount is complete, and then
continue normally. Granted, this could confuse users, but it works quite well
for maintenance work or emergency reboots. The implementation of this was a
hack - I commented out the fstab entry for /usr2. A system which changes
partitions with any frequency would not be easy to maintain.

I recall a thread in this group about problems with the 2K file system. Is
there still a problem, particularly with ISC 2.2?

BTW - The mount/umount delay is suppossed to decrease as the disk become
fuller (since the free list becomes smaller). I suppose you could attack the
problem by keeping the disk artificially loaded with dummy files, and have a
cron entry to delete the dummy files as the free space reaches a low-water
mark. Funny - now we're worried about *too much* disk space!

Thanks to all those who responded to my original post.

waf

tmh@bigfoot.first.gmd.de (11/20/90)

In article <1110@bcs800.UUCP> Tim Addington writes:
|> I recently upgraded my system to a 650 Meg SCSI drive.  My question is
|> is there anyway to speed up the mounting and dismounting of the various
|> filesystems.  It is taking about 10 minutes now to bring up and shut down
|> the system.  Is this due to the Fast File System or the High Performance
|> Disk Driver or what.  I would like to disable this while I am setting up the
|> system.
|>
|> The system is configured as follows:
|>
|> 	ISC 2.2
|> 	Micropolis 680 SCSI Drive
|> 	Adaptec 1542A Controller
|> 	8 Meg RAM
|> 	386/25
That's easy enough! The mounting/unmounting time of ISC's Fast File System is
directly proportional to the free disk space available. The more you got,
the longer it takes. This is because ISC reads the free block list off the
disk upon mounting to create a bitmap of free disk space in main memory.
Searches for free blocks are then satisfied from the bitmap rather than the
disk, and this is one of the main reasons why the FFS is faster than the usual
V7. At the same time the free list is cleared on the disk to guard against
crashes. Since it's updated on the disk only upon unmounting it's safer to say
that there are NO free blocks and have 'fsck' disprove that, than having a
block in the free list on disk, while it was actually written on after the
last mount and before the crash. Since rebuilding the free list seems about as
expensive as simply loading and clearing it, ISC might as well never write it
and have it's incore version reconstructed from the disk on mounting. So if
mount/unmount times trouble you, I can exchange your 680MB disk for a 80MB
drive (that (un)mounts *very* fast) completley free of charge! On the other
hand you might just create a /usr/gobble directory with a couple of big files
in it, artificially using up space. You'd have to remember to remove them,
when the disk fills up with. Experience hath shown, that this problem goes
away faster than you'd like--no disk is really ever big enough, if only because
it takes so much time to throw all that junk away...

Another possibility would be to return to original S51K file system. It's a lot
slower generally (but then file system performance might or might not be
important for your kind of work) but it surely (un)mounts faster.
----
Thomas M. Hoberg   | UUCP: tmh@prosun.first.gmd.de  or  tmh%gmdtub@tub.UUCP
c/o GMD Berlin     |       ...!unido!tub!gmdtub!tmh (Europe) or
D-1000 Berlin 12   |       ...!unido!tub!tmh
Hardenbergplatz 2  |       ...!pyramid!tub!tmh (World)
Germany            | BITNET: tmh%DB0TUI6.BITNET@DB0TUI11 or
+49-30-254 99 160  |         tmh@tub.BITNET