[comp.unix.sysv386] RLL and ESIX

mike@atc.SP.Unisys.COM (Mike Grenier) (11/10/90)

From article <1990Nov7.051419.19612@karnak.cactus.org>, by john@karnak.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.):
> In article <1990Nov6.002853.582@medtron.medtronic.com> dt4100c@medtron.medtronic.com (Derek Terveer) writes:
>>
>>I have never been able to get rll controllers to work reliably with either rev c
>>or rev d of esix.
>
> I have one running under Rev D (2 floppy, 2 disks Western Digital plain jane
> 16 bit type).  My AMI 386 BIOS does let me define my own drive type though
> so I can set it to ST-251 with 26 sectors instead of 17 sectors.
> --

Yes, but can you get it to work with the Fast File System?
I also have the Western Digital plain jane (WD1003-SR2) with my AMI
bios but ESIX consistantly panics in the routine echd_read_vtoc() when
booting the box after the tenth distribution floppy. My disk is somewhat
bigger than yours, .i.e 250 meg. The S51K file system works fine.

Of course, my Adaptec 2372 disk controller wasn't supported at all
with panics in the hdintr() routine. This forced me to buy the slower
WD card only to find out that the fast file system didn't work.
The WD1006-SR2 can also panic when accessing the raw drive :
.i.e use 2 drives and do a mkpart -v on the second one while compiling
something big on the first. Using /etc/crash, it appeared that the
user space wwas not locked in memory causing a page fault in hdintr().

But that's not so bad. The Furture Domain scsi card just gave me
errors something like "HA 1 has no TAs" when connecting to the
Wren Drive under ESIX...more money down the drain

The Adaptec driver does bad things when using multiple SCSI drives. In
particular, if a bad block occurs on the second drive, ESIX will attempt
to reread the block on the first drive...this can be really bad.
(We ended up using a SCSI analyzer to track that one down :-)

The Scsi Device Interface (SDI) also doesn't seem to work correctly
with examples taken right out fo the AT&T manual failing the
SDI_SEND ioctl.

This only describes the problems I've had with the hard disk drivers.
As you can tell, I wouldn't recommend ESIX to my cat let alone a UNIX
user. So far, I've swapped in my printer driver and the FAS serial driver
and am using the ST01 scsi controller for the Wren drives.

One thing I can say for Microport, my old UNIX System V/386 Release 3.0e
was rock solid on the same hardware.
You can guess which vendor will be supplying our UNIX V.4

    -Mike Grenier
    mike@cimcor.mn.org
    mike@sp.unisys.com

pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi) (11/12/90)

On 9 Nov 90 21:38:27 GMT, mike@atc.SP.Unisys.COM (Mike Grenier) said:

mike> I also have the Western Digital plain jane (WD1003-SR2) with my
mike> AMI bios but ESIX consistantly panics in the routine
mike> echd_read_vtoc() when booting the box after the tenth distribution
mike> floppy. My disk is somewhat bigger than yours, .i.e 250 meg. The
mike> S51K file system works fine.

This does not make much sense really. the vtoc reading routine is in the
driver, not in the filesystem. As far as things are supposed to be, the
WD and Adaptec RLL controllers and the WD MFM controller are absolutely
identical as far as the kernel is concerned. I think it would take some
deliberation to actually write code that could discerne among them
(except for the trivial issue of the # of sectors per track).

Your problems seem to be hardware related.

mike> Of course, my Adaptec 2372 disk controller wasn't supported at all
mike> with panics in the hdintr() routine.

This may well be hardware related as well. My own machine has to stay
turned on for half an hour before booting to warm up the controller and
the drive, otherwise horrible things will happen.

mike> The WD1006-SR2 can also panic when accessing the raw drive : .i.e
mike> use 2 drives and do a mkpart -v on the second one while compiling
mike> something big on the first.

This instead looks like an authentic bug, caused by not anticipating the
idea that a user may want to format disks while in multiuser mode.

mike> One thing I can say for Microport, my old UNIX System V/386
mike> Release 3.0e was rock solid on the same hardware.  You can guess
mike> which vendor will be supplying our UNIX V.4

But 3.0 (without the e) was quite buggy instead. Do not expect
consistency in these matters. Also, have a look at Dell's (or Intel's)
SVR4. If I understand correctly you can use your ESIX rev. D to get a
substantial discount on SVR4.
--
Piercarlo Grandi                   | ARPA: pcg%uk.ac.aber.cs@nsfnet-relay.ac.uk
Dept of CS, UCW Aberystwyth        | UUCP: ...!mcsun!ukc!aber-cs!pcg

mschedlb@hawk.ulowell.edu (Martin J. Schedlbauer) (11/12/90)

In article <1990Nov9.213827.1059@atc.SP.Unisys.COM> mike@atc.SP.Unisys.COM (Mike Grenier) writes:
>From article <1990Nov7.051419.19612@karnak.cactus.org>, by john@karnak.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.):
>> In article <1990Nov6.002853.582@medtron.medtronic.com> dt4100c@medtron.medtronic.com (Derek Terveer) writes:
>>>
>>>I have never been able to get rll controllers to work reliably with either rev c
>>>or rev d of esix.
>>
>> I have one running under Rev D (2 floppy, 2 disks Western Digital plain jane
>> 16 bit type).  My AMI 386 BIOS does let me define my own drive type though
>> so I can set it to ST-251 with 26 sectors instead of 17 sectors.
>> --
>
>Yes, but can you get it to work with the Fast File System?
>I also have the Western Digital plain jane (WD1003-SR2) with my AMI
>bios but ESIX consistantly panics in the routine echd_read_vtoc() when
>booting the box after the tenth distribution floppy. My disk is somewhat
>bigger than yours, .i.e 250 meg. The S51K file system works fine.

I have a similar problem with an UltraStore 12F (supported by Esix) and
a ESDI drive. After booting the foundations set (first 20 disks) I get
errors like: Missing BKI segment or NOT 80386 COFF FORMAT for /unix.

This happens for the FFS, but I haven't tried it with the S51K file
system as I didn;t think that would help. But now that you mention it.

	...Martin

Martin J. Schedlbauer
Graphics Research Laboratory, Department of Computer Science, WL 118
University of Lowell
Lowell, MA 01854 (USA)			(508) 934-3612
Martin J. Schedlbauer
Graphics Research Laboratory, Department of Computer Science, WL 118
University of Lowell
Lowell, MA 01854 (USA)			(508) 934-3612

conklin@frith.uucp (Terry Conklin) (11/13/90)

I have run my ESIX system on an RLL controller (DTK) with a 65-meg
Micropolis drive (just big enough to hold the O.S. ;-)) It's in constant
use with currently around 4-5 users. I have the entire drive formatted
FFS.

The performance I get out of this setup is outstanding. With just a
stupid 386/20 and the 65M drive, all 5 users see instant response.
Fgrepping /etc  or /bin is that fast. I'm exceedingly pleased with it
and the combined load of C development, nethackers and X-windows keeps
it earning it's keep.

I go on site every day to an Interactive machine, a 386/33 cached with
an 18-mil 100Meg drive. While it's Norton SI (weak, granted) is DOUBLE
my 20-mhz machine's, and it's drive twice as fast, and there's only 1
user, it's barely as fast, and in some cases much slower.

As far as my use has seen, Interactive's fast file system is an
oxymoron. ESIX rev D has really sped things up a LOT.

I am not so excited about the opportunities that lay ahead when I switch
to a Adaptec 1542B w/750M Micropolis drives (especially since I want
them running sync mode) but who knows. I can hope.

Terry Conklin
conklin@egr.msu.edu
uunet!frith!conklin
The Club 517-372-3131 2400 Mnp5

mike@cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) (11/13/90)

From article <PCG.90Nov11203147@odin.cs.aber.ac.uk>, by pcg@cs.aber.ac.uk (Piercarlo Grandi):

> On 9 Nov 90 21:38:27 GMT, mike@atc.SP.Unisys.COM (Mike Grenier) said:
>
> mike> I also have the Western Digital plain jane (WD1003-SR2) with my
> mike> AMI bios but ESIX consistantly panics in the routine
> mike> echd_read_vtoc() when booting the box after the tenth distribution
> mike> floppy. My disk is somewhat bigger than yours, .i.e 250 meg. The
> mike> S51K file system works fine.
>
> This does not make much sense really. the vtoc reading routine is in the
  (good argument why it should be a hardware/driver problem)

> Your problems seem to be hardware related.

I agree with your logic but sometimes life isn't logical...at least
when ESIX is concerned. I couldn't believe it either so I repeated the
test multiple times. Why should the S51K file system work fine but the
FFS one fail. Why should RLL work great under Microport V/386 and V/AT
and of course DOS if there is a hardware error.

ESIX with the S51K file system has been fine on this box.

.... another note....

When installing ESIX and you have a big non-scsi drive, you must set
partitions evenly if you are going to use FFS. It seems that the
Fast File System will go right ahead and create a file system with more
than 64K inodes. This is bad in System V which uses an unsigned short
to hold the inode number in the kernel and will cause the kernel
to panic when mounting the file system. Scsi installation checks for the
above condition. ESIX technical support admits to the problem.

> mike> Of course, my Adaptec 2372 disk controller wasn't supported at all
> mike> with panics in the hdintr() routine.
>
> This may well be hardware related as well.

Bah...humbug. This controller worked great on 3 different operating
systems. We also tried multiple motherboards and other hardware.
ESIX has problems here but I guess we shouldn't complain since this card
is not on the certified list..unlike the WD8003-SR2.

> mike> One thing I can say for Microport, my old UNIX System V/386
> mike> Release 3.0e was rock solid on the same hardware.  You can guess
> mike> which vendor will be supplying our UNIX V.4
>
> But 3.0 (without the e) was quite buggy instead. Do not expect
> consistency in these matters. Also, have a look at Dell's (or Intel's)
> SVR4. If I understand correctly you can use your ESIX rev. D to get a
> substantial discount on SVR4.

Yea but Intel won't support 1024x768 graphics at all. Microport gives
me a 40% off on my old system. I don't know about Dell.

   -Mike Grenier
    mike@cimcor.mn.org
    mike@sp.unisys.com

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/14/90)

mike@cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:

>Yea but Intel won't support 1024x768 graphics at all. Microport gives
>me a 40% off on my old system. I don't know about Dell.

Don't let the 40% off fool you - take a look at the bottom line
with all the options available to you.

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

jde@everex.uucp (-Jeff Ellis()) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov13.142439.155@cimcor.mn.org> mike@cimcor.mn.org (Michael Grenier) writes:
>When installing ESIX and you have a big non-scsi drive, you must set
>partitions evenly if you are going to use FFS. It seems that the
>Fast File System will go right ahead and create a file system with more
>than 64K inodes. This is bad in System V which uses an unsigned short
>to hold the inode number in the kernel and will cause the kernel
>to panic when mounting the file system. Scsi installation checks for the
>above condition. ESIX technical support admits to the problem.

I have talked with the Guy that did the work on the newfs commandand we looked
at the source code. In ESIX Rev D beta we had a problem when using large
SCSI drives, newfs (called by mkfs) could make FFS file systems that had
more 64k inodes and panic the system. But it was fixed before it went
into production and the newfs command checks for that condition and
keeps it less than 64k. This works for all type of drives, not just SCSI.

--
Jeff Ellis		ESIX SYSTEM/V  UUCP:uunet!zardoz!everex!jde
			US Mail: 1923 St. Andrew Place, Santa Ana, CA 92705