[comp.unix.sysv386] Need user interface designer for Unix/Oracle

enc@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Erez N. Carmel) (11/19/90)

I want to design a custom user interface with ANSI colors and attach
it to multi user Oracle running under ESIX 3.2D.  The Oracle built-in
interface is not attractive enough.  I need colorful screens, menu bars
and hierarchical windows.  The ideal tools should look like Clarion user
interface designer, and generate the user interface code in C.

Any recommendations?

E. Carmel
Sacramento, CA
#      E. Carmel, Sacramento, Ca.                           #
#   ...ames!pacbell!sactoh0!telelnk!ecarmel                 #

fc185120@seas.gwu.edu (Lish Ethan A.) (11/19/90)

In article <4339@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US>, enc@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Erez N. Carmel) writes:
> I want to design a custom user interface with ANSI colors and attach
> it to multi user Oracle running under ESIX 3.2D.  The Oracle built-in
> interface is not attractive enough.  I need colorful screens, menu bars
> and hierarchical windows.  The ideal tools should look like Clarion user
> interface designer, and generate the user interface code in C.
>
> Any recommendations?

	Look at PROGRESS!

	Now granted this may be over kill, to attach a complete RDBMS on as a
	Front End Processor, but you will be *PLEASED* with what you see!

	The PROGRESS 4GL will become your development language.
	PROGRESS will handle all your front end processing,
	while you can leave Oracle as the DBMS Server (Back End)

	For more information on this and a "Test Drive" in PROGRESS
	call them at 1.Fast.4.GL

	Last month UN*X in the Office place had a good write up of PROGRESS.

	Or you could email me with more specific questions.

				Hope this helps,
					Ethan
--
"When the program is being tested, it is to late to make design changes."
                - Tao of Programming by Geoffrey James

In article <4339@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> enc@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Erez N. Carmel) writes:
>I want to design a custom user interface with ANSI colors and attach
>it to multi user Oracle running under ESIX 3.2D.  The Oracle built-in
>interface is not attractive enough.  I need colorful screens, menu bars
>and hierarchical windows.  The ideal tools should look like Clarion user
>interface designer, and generate the user interface code in C.
>
>Any recommendations?

Don't know much about Oracle, but for an interface tool Vermont Views is
real good.  Good design tool (it will dump interface libraries to be read
by your run-time code, or dump C code so you can twiddle bits), Full range
of control functions from the high menu level to the low before, during
and after field functions (The point is that you have as much control as
you want to use).

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

itkin@mrspoc.Transact.COM (Steven M. List) (11/20/90)

enc@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Erez N. Carmel) writes:

>I want to design a custom user interface with ANSI colors and attach
>it to multi user Oracle running under ESIX 3.2D.  The Oracle built-in
>interface is not attractive enough.  I need colorful screens, menu bars
>and hierarchical windows.  The ideal tools should look like Clarion user
>interface designer, and generate the user interface code in C.

Possibilities that come immediately to mind include ACCELL/SQL for Oracle
from Unify (Sacramento), JAM with JAMdbi from JYACC (NYC), Uniface (just
getting started here - based in the SF East Bay), and there are a few other
toolkits.  If you want to add some intelligence, you might look at Nexpert
Object from Neuron Data (Palo Alto), since their front end toolkit is quite
nice.

Why should it generate C code?
 :                Steven List @ Transact Software, Inc. :^>~                  :
 :           Chairman, Unify User Group of Northern California                :
 :     {apple,coherent,limbo,mips,pyramid,ubvax}!itkin@guinan.Transact.COM    :