[comp.unix.sysv386] X.25 hard/software sought

jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) (11/20/90)

We use Interactive Unix 2.2 and are looking for a combined hardware and
software solution to our need to connect to an X.25 network.

We do NOT need to do TCP/IP or any other protocol over it.  We merely
have a connection to a credit-card verification service that requires
that we speak to it via X.25.

I see ads for such things in the mags, but it is always better to hear
from people who have real experience.  The sales people
always seem to forget to tell you that their product tends to crash
your system twice a week.

Thanks.

Jim Gottlieb <jimmy@denwa.info.com>  or  <jimmy@pic.ucla.edu>

jdm1@eds1.UUCP (Jon McCown) (11/20/90)

jimmy@denwa.info.com (Jim Gottlieb) writes:
>We use Interactive Unix 2.2 and are looking for a combined hardware and
>software solution to our need to connect to an X.25 network.
>We do NOT need to do TCP/IP or any other protocol over it.  We merely
>have a connection to a credit-card verification service that requires
>that we speak to it via X.25.
>I see ads for such things in the mags, but it is always better to hear
>from people who have real experience.  The sales people
>always seem to forget to tell you that their product tends to crash
>your system twice a week.

At last something I can speak to from experience.  We have been using
Rabbit Software's (Malvern PA) Netcomm II X.25 hardware and software with
ESIX 3.2 Rev D.  While I am sure there are other good implementations, I
cannot say enough good things about this one.  Installation was a snap,
the board has its own 80186 (good throughput), diagnostic/monitoring
software is complete.  For ESIX they shipped the ISC version, so you
should be in good shape.  Haven't experienced any X.25 crashes yet
(installed three months).

We use the X.25 interface for remote terminal access to unix from our
remote lan workstations.  They also provide a library of interface
routines (likely your area of interest), and some sample/useful source.

Needless to say I am not a Rabbit employee.

Caution: Rabbit's phone folks are PC-retentives, ask for a unix person :-)

- Jon

--
             J.D. McCown - RCSG Director - Senate of Pennsylvania
psuvax1!eds1!jdm1    (this space intentionally     "Your lupins or your life!"