[comp.unix.sysv386] TCP/IP under ISC

rrsum@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Rick Summerhill) (11/19/90)

I currently have a standard 386 clone machine running ISC v2.02.
I also have the X window system package, but not the TCP/IP package.

When I called ISC to see how much it would cost me to purchase TCP/IP,
I was told they are only selling one for v2.2, not v2.02.  Moreover,
they didn't know if the current TCP/IP would work with v2.02.  Anyone
out there know if it does?  It is very expensive, also.  $495 compared
to the complete ESIX system for $825.  If one must update to v2.2,
then it is even more costly!  Recommendations?  I'm actually trying
to wait till SysVR4 before investing a great deal more in my system.

Anyone out there have an ISC TCP/IP for 2.02 they want to sell for a
fair price?

--
Rick Summerhill          	Phone:  (913)532-6311
CTA, Cardwell Hall       	FAX:    (913)532-5914

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) (11/19/90)

In article <1990Nov18.173628.21839@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu> rrsum@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Rick Summerhill) writes:
>I currently have a standard 386 clone machine running ISC v2.02.
>I also have the X window system package, but not the TCP/IP package.
>
>When I called ISC to see how much it would cost me to purchase TCP/IP,
>I was told they are only selling one for v2.2, not v2.02.  Moreover,
>they didn't know if the current TCP/IP would work with v2.02.  Anyone
>out there know if it does?  It is very expensive, also.  $495 compared
>to the complete ESIX system for $825.  If one must update to v2.2,
>then it is even more costly!  Recommendations?  I'm actually trying
>to wait till SysVR4 before investing a great deal more in my system.

The current HBTCP v1.2 will work with ISC 2.0.2 90%.  The only things
that I have seen that don't work are the UDP time services and the
SLIP.  Seems that ISC disagrees with me on the UDP stuff (Dick are you
there?) but I have found that it doesn't.  The SLIP not working is
spelled out in the manual on page 1 or 2.  Other than that I have
found it to be both faster and more reliable than the version 1.0 (or
whatever it was).

>Anyone out there have an ISC TCP/IP for 2.02 they want to sell for a
>fair price?

Sorry but no.

--
ARPANET:    jadpc!jdeitch@nosc.mil
INTERNET:   jdeitch@jadpc.nosc.mil

mjhammel@Kepler.dell.com (Michael J. Hammel) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov18.173628.21839@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>,
rrsum@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Rick Summerhill) writes:
> I currently have a standard 386 clone machine running ISC v2.02.
> I also have the X window system package, but not the TCP/IP package.
>
> When I called ISC to see how much it would cost me to purchase TCP/IP,
> I was told they are only selling one for v2.2, not v2.02.  Moreover,
> they didn't know if the current TCP/IP would work with v2.02.  Anyone
> out there know if it does?  It is very expensive, also.  $495 compared
> to the complete ESIX system for $825.  If one must update to v2.2,
> then it is even more costly!  Recommendations?  I'm actually trying
> to wait till SysVR4 before investing a great deal more in my system.

The TCP/IP I have for 2.0.2 is TCP/IP 1.1.2.  The latest version is
TCP/IP 1.2 (I think).  1.2 works fairly well, but its not completely
compatible with other TCP/IP implementations.  Specifically, it doesn't
seem too happy with System V.4 TCP/IP or SunOS 4.0.  Telnet's from the
V.4 to a 1.2 system won't complete (they hang).  Rlogin's require the -8
option in order to not get things confused when using vi.  There are
some other things.  Basically, I've decided 1.1.2 is more compatible in
a heterogenous network.

The 1.2 (whats probably being sold with ISC UNIX 2.2) works fairly well
with the 1.1.2 (what was sold with the ISC UNIX 2.0.2).  It also appears
to work fairly well with NCSA Telnet 2.2TN for PC's.

Recommendation: if you're going to deal only with ISC-based systems then
1.1.2/1.2 systems should work ok, but if you plan to begin meshing in
various flavors of TCP/IP from several vendors I'd use only 1.1.2 (if
you can get it).

Michael J. Hammel        | mjhammel@{Kepler|socrates}.dell.com
Dell Computer Corp.      | {73377.3467|76424.3024}@compuserve.com
#include <disclaim/std>  | zzham@ttuvm1.bitnet | uunet!uudell!feynman!mjhammel
"oh oh, kwyjeebo on the loose!"

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/20/90)

jdeitch@jadpc.cts.com (Jim Deitch) writes:
> The current HBTCP v1.2 will work with ISC 2.0.2 90%.  The only things
> that I have seen that don't work are the UDP time services and the
> SLIP.  Seems that ISC disagrees with me on the UDP stuff (Dick are you
> there?) but I have found that it doesn't...

Yah, I'm here, but I'm not your guy.  I think you meant Doug.  My know-
ledge of networking is approximately limited to knowing whom to ask about
it (that generally being Doug).

The UDP time services problem was (Doug tells me:-) a limit on number of
open files in inetd.  Either reduce the number of services in use or
increase the value of NOFILES in the kernel and build a new one.
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   Cellular phones: more deadly than marijuana.

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (11/20/90)

In <12431@uudell.dell.com> mjhammel@Kepler.dell.com (Michael J. Hammel) writes:

>The TCP/IP I have for 2.0.2 is TCP/IP 1.1.2.  The latest version is
>TCP/IP 1.2 (I think).  1.2 works fairly well, but its not completely
>compatible with other TCP/IP implementations.  Specifically, it doesn't
>seem too happy with System V.4 TCP/IP or SunOS 4.0.  Telnet's from the
>V.4 to a 1.2 system won't complete (they hang).  Rlogin's require the -8
>option in order to not get things confused when using vi.  There are
>some other things.  Basically, I've decided 1.1.2 is more compatible in
>a heterogenous network.

Subsequent investigation on this side of the pond shows that the telnetd
in 1.2.0 confuses many other telnets. The manual explains that ISC added
some extra negotiation parameters (e.g. WINSIZE). To disable them, edit
/etc/inetd.conf and add some parameters on the telnetd line (I don't have
them to hand, sorry. Maybe later ... :-)

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

mjhammel@Kepler.dell.com (Michael J. Hammel) (11/21/90)

In article <12431@uudell.dell.com>, mjhammel@Kepler.dell.com (Michael J.
Hammel) writes:
> compatible with other TCP/IP implementations.  Specifically, it doesn't
> seem too happy with System V.4 TCP/IP or SunOS 4.0.  Telnet's from the
> V.4 to a 1.2 system won't complete (they hang).  Rlogin's require the -8
> option in order to not get things confused when using vi.  There are
> some other things.  Basically, I've decided 1.1.2 is more compatible in
> a heterogenous network.

In fairness, I should say I did *not* have problems with Suns to/from
1.2 systems.  We were using Suns as controls in some of our tests.  I
got my data mixed up.  The problems we had were specifically from V4
systems to 1.2 systems.

karl@naitc.naitc.com (Karl Denninger) (11/21/90)

In article <12431@uudell.dell.com> mjhammel@Kepler.dell.com (Michael J. Hammel) writes:
>In article <1990Nov18.173628.21839@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>,
>rrsum@matt.ksu.ksu.edu (Rick Summerhill) writes:
>> I currently have a standard 386 clone machine running ISC v2.02.
>> I also have the X window system package, but not the TCP/IP package.
>>
>> When I called ISC to see how much it would cost me to purchase TCP/IP,
>> I was told they are only selling one for v2.2, not v2.02.  Moreover,
>> they didn't know if the current TCP/IP would work with v2.02.  Anyone
>> out there know if it does?  It is very expensive, also.  $495 compared
>> to the complete ESIX system for $825.  If one must update to v2.2,
>> then it is even more costly!  Recommendations?  I'm actually trying
>> to wait till SysVR4 before investing a great deal more in my system.
>>
>The TCP/IP I have for 2.0.2 is TCP/IP 1.1.2.  The latest version is
>TCP/IP 1.2 (I think).  1.2 works fairly well, but its not completely
>compatible with other TCP/IP implementations.  Specifically, it doesn't
>seem too happy with System V.4 TCP/IP or SunOS 4.0.  Telnet's from the
>V.4 to a 1.2 system won't complete (they hang).  Rlogin's require the -8
>option in order to not get things confused when using vi.  There are
>some other things.  Basically, I've decided 1.1.2 is more compatible in
>a heterogenous network.

Which is interesting, since we have something like a half-dozen ISC
workstations (one on my desk, another being our gateway) and I telnet all
the time to/from Suns and it works just fine.

These ALL run 2.2 ISC with the latest TCP/IP.  No tribble at all.

Perhaps you need to look at things like the broadcast address and subnet
bits.... or other similar, minor details.

Ditto for MIPS systems, PCs running B&WNFS, and more.

The new TCP fixes 95% of the problems with interfaces going to sleep on you;
this is a MAJOR improvement.  The new NFS is also nearly 100% complient with
Sun's idea of NFS, this is also a major improvement, and it's much faster.

Go with the good stuff.

--
Karl Denninger	AC Nielsen
kdenning@ksun.naitc.com