[comp.unix.sysv386] corrupt floppy driver?

tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) (11/21/90)

We have reason to believe our floopy driver is bogus.
I don't have time to explain why,

can some one using Interactive Unix 2.2 send me a copy of
/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt

Please!
thanks!

Tim
tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu

jim@segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) (11/22/90)

In article <1990Nov20.160931.22784@mercury.cair.du.edu> tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) writes:
>We have reason to believe our floopy driver is bogus.
>I don't have time to explain why,
>

>can some one using Interactive Unix 2.2 send me a copy of
>/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt

Good joke!

I have reason to believe that your beliefs are bogus.
I don't have time to explain why.

RTFM in regard to devices and drivers, and then you'll understand why we're all
laughing.  Even if /dev/rdsk/f1q15dt were the floopy [sic] driver,
it wouldn't be legal for some other user to send it to you.
Contact ISC support.

Or you might find time to state the symptoms, and then you might get help here.

In article <1990Nov20.160931.22784@mercury.cair.du.edu> tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) writes:
>We have reason to believe our floopy driver is bogus.

What are the reasons?  I tend to doubt that you really have a floppy
driver problem and without an explanation I couldn't tell you what the
problem might be.

>can some one using Interactive Unix 2.2 send me a copy of
>/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt

First off, that would be a violation of ISCs copyright, but disregarding
that, the /dev entry is not the floppy driver.  The floppy driver is in an
entry under /etc/conf/pack.d and if one of those portions of you system is
corrupted, then you should treat the entire installation as corrupted and
restore from backup.

If you think that your kernel has taken a hit, rebuild it.  If the floppy
driver is really trashed, your rebuild will *probably* fail.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) (11/22/90)

In article <4752@segue.segue.com> jim@segue.segue.com (Jim Balter) writes:
>In article <1990Nov20.160931.22784@mercury.cair.du.edu> tjreynol@zephyr.cair.du.edu (Tim) writes:
>>We have reason to believe our floopy driver is bogus.
>
>RTFM in regard to devices and drivers, and then you'll understand why we're all
>laughing.  Even if /dev/rdsk/f1q15dt were the floopy [sic] driver,

/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt IS a valid special device for Interactive, in fact it is 	(under a DOS description) drive B: and a 1.2 meg device.  Dont be so hard
on the guy.  We all had to learn about mknod one time or another, and what
better place than here to share our problems and frustrations?

You are right though, we would like to hear all of your symptoms before we
tie up net band width with fixes that may not apply.

Chances are that there is nothing wrong with the file in question, but rather
with the kernal, or even hardware, but if the file is gone then there is a way.
Look up mknod in you man and follow the instructions found there for rebuilding
your special files.  At the end of this post I will put an example of how it
works, but read the man before you try anything.  If you do a
ls -ol /dev/rdsk/f1q15dt you will find the major and minor numbers listed that
will be used for arguments to mknod ie:

crw-rw-rw-   6 root       1,  1 Mar 28  1990 f1q15dt
crw-rw-rw-   3 root       1, 81 Mar 28  1990 f1q18dt

                          ^  ^
__________________________|__|

Remember, you must have both BLOCK AND CHARACTER entries for each drive. The
ls listing above is for char, you can find block in /dev/dsk/???????.

 #
 #  Make device entries for the 1.44 meg floppy and set permissions
 #  THIS IS NEEDED FOR 1.06 ONLY ALL NEWER VERSIONS COME DONE
 #
 if (test ! -w /dev/dsk/f1q18dt) then
	 echo
	 echo Making Block device entries for 1.44meg floppy
	 mknod /dev/dsk/f1q18dt b 1 81
	 mknod /dev/dsk/f1q18d b 1 85
	 chmod 666 /dev/dsk/f1q18*

   else
   echo
   echo Block  device entries for 1.44meg floppy already done
 fi

 if (test ! -w /dev/rdsk/f1q18dt) then
	echo

        echo
	echo Making Char device entries for 1.44meg floppy
	mknod /dev/rdsk/f1q18dt c 1 81
	mknod /dev/rdsk/f1q18d c 1 85
	chmod 666 /dev/rdsk/f1q18*
   else
	echo
	echo Char device entries for 1.44meg floppy already done
	echo

|  Mark Hilliard, N2HHR                         |    AWK is not just a   |
|  Fax 315-986-5882                             |        LANGUAGE        |
|  mark@gizzmo.kodak.com                        |   It is a way of LIFE! |