[comp.unix.sysv386] VPIX / MS-DOS Kermit query

jrd@cc.usu.edu (11/20/90)

	VPIX (aka Simutask) and MS-DOS Kermit -
	I have a stable of AT&T Unix machines SV3.2 and I also found that
Kermit would not run. The reason seemed to be, as I recall, that the address
in segment 40h for the serial ports was empty. Well, one easy way of fixing
that is to get v3.02/development of Kermit from Columbia's archives (in
directories ~kermit/bin for file mstibm.exe and ~kermit/test for mstibm.boo
and msr302.upd). There is a new command to force the address into 40h while
Kermit runs.
	Curiously, I haven't tried that here because I gave up on Simultask.
But I can offer to make some progress on the problem. I can resurect Simultask
and have a go at the matter and then later inform AT&T of the workarounds.
It will take about a week to get to that matter. Meanwhile MSK v3.02/dev
still runs very nicely to AT&T Unix from a real DOS machine.
	Joe D.

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (11/24/90)

In article <1990Nov19.200307.42824@cc.usu.edu> jrd@cc.usu.edu writes:
>	VPIX (aka Simutask) and MS-DOS Kermit -
>	I have a stable of AT&T Unix machines SV3.2 and I also found that
>Kermit would not run. The reason seemed to be, as I recall, that the address
>in segment 40h for the serial ports was empty.

I had the same problem running TAPCIS under "real" DOS.  For some
unknown reason, my AT didn't recognize the serial port in my Everex
internal modem, and the equipment flag at 40h showed no serial ports.
I ended up writing a short assembly program to poke the appropriate
value into the equipment flag, and everything was resolved.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)