[comp.unix.sysv386] INTEL V366 Rel 4

bill@alembic.acs.com (Bill Hatch) (11/23/90)

Bill Hatch  (301)470-3839(w)  (301)441-1675(h)
Coleman Research, 14504 Greenview Drive, Laurel MD 20708
All opinions expressed are my own - dont blame my employer or alembic systems

I have been unsuccessful in getting any telephone response from Intel on
some hardware compatibility questions on V386 Release 4.  Their product,
as described in the latest catalog from Programers Connection, seems to
offer a lot for the price (about $1400).  The Programmers Connection technical
staff has received no compatibility information from Intel.  I made 2
attempts, using their Intel technical contact number, to get hw conpatibility
information.  Both resulted in several call forwardings and a promise to
have someone call me back.  2 additional attempts through the local MD
Intel Reigonal office resulted in the same dead end.  None of these prodeucd
a call back.   Therefore i am posting this article in hopes that someone
else can provide at least partial answers or hints.  I have no interest
in bashing Intel - i simply need information !!!

We are planning to install Intel V386 Rel 4 in the following hardware
configuration:

HP Vectra RS/C  20 Mhz  64KB Cashe, 8 Mb RAM,
300 Mb HP SCSI disk / Adaptec SCSI controller
Paridise Color VGA
Irwin 80 Mb Mini Cartridge Tape
8 Port Intelligent Controller

I would like to know if Intel V386 Rel 4 includes the necessary drivers
for this hardware configuration or if the drivers for V.4 are provided
by the hardware manufacturers.   Stan Philips at Media Integration helped
us in selecting the hard disk and in eliminating a SCSI controller
that was "probably not" V.4 compatible yet.
Our local computer dealers either support only SCO Unix or provide
no Unix support.

I will greatly appreciate any hints or pointers on these compatibility
issues.

bill hatch
e-mail: uunet!bts!bill
phone : (301)470-3839
home  : (301)441-1675
Coleman Research
14504 Greenview Drive
Suite 500
Laurel MD 20708

In article <1990Nov23.034645.2409@alembic.acs.com> bill@alembic.acs.com (Bill Hatch) writes:
>We are planning to install Intel V386 Rel 4 in the following hardware
>configuration:
>
>300 Mb HP SCSI disk / Adaptec SCSI controller

One thing that you have to be carefull about SVR4 is that AT&T in its
infinite wisdom has hard-coded SCSI ID strings into its SCSI drivers which
refuse to try to work with SCSI devices that have ID strings that are not
in that table.  We ran into this with a "Conner 200MB SCSI" drive.

If intel hasn't changed this portion of the system (and I have no reason to
believe they have or haven't) you might run into problems.

>8 Port Intelligent Controller

What controller?  For most of these, you have to get the drivers from
the manufacturer and for the most part the SVR3 drivers are not fully
compatible with SVR4.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170