[comp.unix.sysv386] UHC Info/Re: UN*X Vendors -- big list

styer@ms.uky.edu (Eugene Styer) (11/13/90)

Thanks for a very timely posting (three guesses as to what I am in the process
of doing, and the first two don't count :-). )
I called Microport, and they are sending me a packet in the mail.  I also
called UHC, and got the following information:
Base system & nroff: $895
X11                  $795
Networking, NFS, etc: $695
Developement System: $995
Complete System (until end of the year) $1995
If I have any interesting new information on Microport when it comes in, I
will post later.

Eugene Styer - 402 Wallace, EKU, Richmond, KY 40475  styer@eku.bitnet
"A complex number consists of two parts, a real part and an imaginary part,
where the imaginary part is as real as the real part if you can imagine that."
--

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/13/90)

styer@ms.uky.edu (Eugene Styer) writes:

>Thanks for a very timely posting (three guesses as to what I am in the process
>of doing, and the first two don't count :-). )
>I called Microport, and they are sending me a packet in the mail.  I also
>called UHC, and got the following information:
>Base system & nroff: $895
>X11                  $795
>Networking, NFS, etc: $695
>Developement System: $995
>Complete System (until end of the year) $1995
>If I have any interesting new information on Microport when it comes in, I
>will post later.

Don't forget Intel release 4.0 - $1395 from the programmers connection which
includes everything listed above (I'm not sure on text processing - but
I believe it also is included).

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

In article <1990Nov13.120547.22443@nstar.uucp> larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

| Don't forget Intel release 4.0 - $1395 from the programmers connection which
| includes everything listed above (I'm not sure on text processing - but
| I believe it also is included).

  The prices quoted for Dell V.4 in _UNIX Today_ were $1100 2 users,
$1300 multiuser. I may be wrong on the first, it might be $1k even, I've
seen both prices.

  I'm very impressed with Dell, the list of problems and limitations is
gratifyingly short, and I have found myself amazed at what works, and
how much extra stuff has been added. This looks like a dump of some
hacker's personal system, with lots of GNU stuff, pbmplus, etc.

  Not that any of the V.4 systems I've tried have been perfect, but I am
finding few cases of the system "falling dead" when there are problems.
No kernel dumps, although there is a lot of stuff which violates the
"rule of least amazement."
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (11/14/90)

In article <1990Nov13.120547.22443@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:
> styer@ms.uky.edu (Eugene Styer) writes:
>
>>Thanks for a very timely posting (three guesses as to what I am in the process
> >of doing, and the first two don't count :-). )
> >I called Microport, and they are sending me a packet in the mail.  I also
> >called UHC, and got the following information:
> >Base system & nroff: $895
> >X11                  $795
> >Networking, NFS, etc: $695
> >Developement System: $995
> >Complete System (until end of the year) $1995
> >If I have any interesting new information on Microport when it comes in, I
> >will post later.
>
> Don't forget Intel release 4.0 - $1395 from the programmers connection which
> includes everything listed above (I'm not sure on text processing - but
> I believe it also is included).

ESIX: Everything in above, except (?) nroff: $825

I've installed the system for a client, and in my opinion, it is very
good.  ESIX's best feature is that it is WELL SUPPORTED!  Phone support
(you pay for the call and get your money's worth) and also by UUCP email.

				Jay Ts, Director
				Metran Technology
				Tampa FL
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

bill@ssbn.WLK.COM (Bill Kennedy) (11/14/90)

[ UHC prices for Vr4 ... ]

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) follows up:
>Don't forget Intel release 4.0 - $1395 from the programmers connection which
>includes everything listed above (I'm not sure on text processing - but
>I believe it also is included).

The Programmer's Connection catalog is silent about text processing,
but the Interactive Text Processing Workbench, same catalog page is
listed for $315, unlimited users.

There's a fascinating footnote on each of the Interactive listings:

"Not available to customers in Africa, Algeria, Brazil, Kuwait, Oman,
 Pakistan, Qatar, and U.A.E."

I guess it's obvious why it caught my eye, but a quick scan didn't
show similar stuff regarding other vendors' products, I wonder what
is unique about Interactive.
--
Bill Kennedy  usenet      {att,cs.utexas.edu,pyramid!daver}!ssbn.wlk.com!bill
              internet    bill@ssbn.WLK.COM   or attmail!ssbn!bill

In article <323@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>ESIX: Everything in above, except (?) nroff: $825
>
>I've installed the system for a client, and in my opinion, it is very good

However, you should have looked at the products that were being discussed.
The products were system VR4, not SVR3.2 (which esix is).

ESIX is planning on a SVR4 release but I don't think you will see it until
1or2Q92.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (11/17/90)

In article <1990Nov15.174732.22654@virtech.uucp>, cpcahil@virtech.uucp (Conor P. Cahill) writes:
> In article <323@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
> >ESIX: Everything in above, except (?) nroff: $825
> >
> >I've installed the system for a client, and in my opinion, it is very good
>
> However, you should have looked at the products that were being discussed.
> The products were system VR4, not SVR3.2 (which esix is).

Here I am having to apologize again.  Unfortunately, I have been having to
work until 5-6am far too much lately!

This happened because, as you can see, System Vr4 is not mentioned in the
Subject: line!  Look!  See?

Now, to defend myself a bit, why do you people want Sys Vr4, anyway?  I'm
definitely waiting maybe 6 mos. or so until a few of the bugs are worked
out.  (Maybe ESIX will release a product around then...)

Of course, if y'all want to test it for me, I guess I shouldn't complain :-)

				Jay Ts
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

In article <330@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:

>Now, to defend myself a bit, why do you people want Sys Vr4, anyway?  I'm

Most people want SVR4 today for one of the following reasons:

	1. to always have the latest and greatest OS
	2. to develop/test application software for the product
	3. to get major portions of the BSD look and feel

I'd bet that many of the people that read/contribute to this group have
been working with 386 unix products for at least 2 or 3 years (back in
the days of SVR3.0).  They were pioneers then, they will be pioneers yet
again.

>definitely waiting maybe 6 mos. or so until a few of the bugs are worked
>out.

If you are talking about a production system, I would agree.  In fact, we
went out an bought an extra machine to load/test/play with SVR4.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (11/18/90)

In article <330@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>Now, to defend myself a bit, why do you people want Sys Vr4, anyway?  I'm
>definitely waiting maybe 6 mos. or so until a few of the bugs are worked
>out.  (Maybe ESIX will release a product around then...)

Well, easy :

Job control.
SunOS file system architecture
Better integrated networking
Long filenames
More berkeley features (= more PD programs too )

Probably a lot more....
If you had used a BSD/SunOS machine you would know, I think.

Per
--
Per Andersson (perand@admin.kth.se, perand@stacken.kth.se)
Trying a new job at Bofors Electronics,

evil@arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) (11/21/90)

Various people write:
> Don't forget Intel release 4.0 - $1395 from the programmers connection
> ESIX: Everything in above, except (?) nroff: $825

One thing I ought to note concerning my list -- I'm trying to keep the
prices at that for which the companies themselves sell the software --
street prices may vary (they usually do).  Keeping up with street prices
can be tough given the various resellers.
--
Wade Guthrie (evil@arcturus.UUCP)    | "The likelihood of one individual being
...uunet!ccicpg!felix!arcturus!evil  | right increases with direct proportion to

In article <1990Nov20.203102.24338@arcturus.uucp> evil@arcturus.uucp (Wade Guthrie) writes:
| Various people write:
| > Don't forget Intel release 4.0 - $1395 from the programmers connection
| > ESIX: Everything in above, except (?) nroff: $825
|
| One thing I ought to note concerning my list -- I'm trying to keep the
| prices at that for which the companies themselves sell the software --
| street prices may vary (they usually do).  Keeping up with street prices
| can be tough given the various resellers.

  If I didn't mention it, Dell V.4 comes with nroff and troff (ditroff),
macro packages man, mm, and ms, and xtroff to view the output on the
screen. I haven't found the otroff (CAT troff) yet, but there's some
kind of a cat option I haven't explored yet. I think it wants a table I
haven't loaded, or something.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX