[comp.unix.sysv386] JUMBO tape driver

ajp@nstar.UUCP (Andy Paluch) (11/16/90)

Does anyone know where I can drivers for a floppy based
QIC-40 tape drive (Colorado Memory Sys) for use on a
ISC 386/ix system? Thanks!

jc@joker.mil.ufl.edu (11/17/90)

In article <30PPs1w161w@nstar.UUCP> ajp@nstar.UUCP (Andy Paluch) writes:
>Does anyone know where I can drivers for a floppy based
>QIC-40 tape drive (Colorado Memory Sys) for use on a
>ISC 386/ix system? Thanks!

Did you try CMS?  They sell Xenix drivers for their drives, so they
may also have them for your system.  I have their JUMBO driver in my
Xenix 386 system which I got at the same place I bought the drive.
If I remember right it took about 2 weeks and cost me $40.

You can either try your dealer if you just bought your drive, or call
CMS sales/support directly (800-432-5858) and they'll refer you.

BTW: Don't use Sony tapes!  They're cheap for a reason.

Jim Castleberry
jc@joker.mil.ufl.edu

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (11/18/90)

In article <1990Nov16.225628.1025@eng.ufl.edu>, jc@joker.mil.ufl.edu writes:
> In article <30PPs1w161w@nstar.UUCP> ajp@nstar.UUCP (Andy Paluch) writes:
> >Does anyone know where I can drivers for a floppy based
> >QIC-40 tape drive (Colorado Memory Sys) for use on a
> >ISC 386/ix system? Thanks!

Colorado is still debugging their driver for ISC 386/ix.  I just tried
installing a Jumbo tape unit in a 386/ix 2.2 system last week, using their
2.38 revision driver.  My information is that that's the first revision
that's even *supposed* to work with 386/ix.

Well, it didn't work for us!  We ended up having to reinstall the OS *twice*
due to bugs in their driver's installation package.  The guy I was working
with suspects that the driver may corrupt system files, but we're not really
sure of that.  The major problem we had was that after trying to install
the driver, and finding it not working properly, we tried to reinstall it
(after removing it first) and the install program core dumped.  It was very
nasty; the only way we could try to use the tape unit from that point was
to completely reinstall the OS and then the tape driver, hoping that it
would work.  We finally gave up, and are trying to get a refund for the unit.

Before anyone gets the idea that I am trying to flame Colorado Memory Systems,
let me state clearly and definitively that I think that THEIR TECHNICAL
SUPPORT DEPARTMENT IS DOING AN INCREDIBLY GOOD JOB!!!!  Not only do they have
a toll-free number, but they are also responsive and technically competant!
When they have new versions of their driver SW, they will send them out
free upon request.

This was the first time a tech support person actually called me to apologize
that they did not have a solution right now.  Usually, a company in their
position (in my experience) will become evasive and try as hard as possible
to not say something like that to a customer, especially when it is true :-).

BTW, I should also mention that my client was sold the Jumbo drive before
CO Mem. Sys. was even trying to support it on UNIX, so it's not like they
were trying to put one over on a customer (but I'm not so sure about the
reseller...).  Quite on the contrary, CMS seemed to be happy to talk to
someone out in the field trying to use their new SW, and apologetic when
they couldn't help.  In addition, they helped us in our quest for a refund
by calling the reseller and authorizing a return from him!

> You can either try your dealer if you just bought your drive, or call
> CMS sales/support directly (800-432-5858) and they'll refer you.

Talk to CMS directly; I'm sure they will be happy to send you their latest
driver version for you to try out.  But at least wait for rev. 2.39, OK?

Oh, one more thing.  CMS seems to have much more confidence in their "jumperless
controller card" than the floppy controller.  It's (I think) $125 extra, but
probably worth it.

				Jay Ts
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

rajs@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Rajeev Seth) (11/19/90)

I have Interactive's 2.2 unix and in the compatibility list it says CMS
Jumbo tape backup works with it. Does this mean that you people's experience is
different and the Interactive floppy tape driver does not work well with the
Jumbo tape backup.

I have also been told that floppy tape drives are less
reliable. Is that really true? If so, how. The choice for me right now,
(I'm looking to buy a tape backup) is to go with Jumbo ($250) or a
streaming 60MB tape unit such as that by Everex (DC600A 1/4" cartridges
and QIC-24 format, costing $660). I don't care much for speed but do care
for reliability, but is it worth the $400 difference to go for the
cartridge tape drive.

patrick@quadron.COM (Patrick Linstruth) (11/21/90)

ajp@nstar.UUCP (Andy Paluch) writes:

>Does anyone know where I can drivers for a floppy based
>QIC-40 tape drive (Colorado Memory Sys) for use on a
>ISC 386/ix system? Thanks!

Colorado Memory Systems now sells a Unix driver for their tape backup.
I think it became available last month.

jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) (11/21/90)

(I had previously posted about having trouble with Co. Memory Systems Jumbo
tape drive under 386/ix 2.2 ...)

In article <53180003@hpindda.cup.hp.com>, rajs@hpindda.cup.hp.com (Rajeev Seth) writes:
> I have Interactive's 2.2 unix and in the compatibility list it says CMS
>Jumbo tape backup works with it. Does this mean that you people's experience is
> different and the Interactive floppy tape driver does not work well with the
> Jumbo tape backup.

That was the experience that I and an associate had on one machine.  I just
got a call from Rene Silvers at CMS tech support today; she says that they
may have a fix (it involves examining the /etc/conf/cf.d/sdevice file, and
using info gathered therein to modify /etc/conf/sdevice.d/ptx, if I understood
her correctly).  I have not (and may not) have a chance to test it to see if
it works.

If you are really interested in using a Jumbo tape drive, you may want to wait
for release 2.39 of their driver.  CMS tech support is very concerned that the
unit work properly, and have been doing a superb job of support, so don't be
overly afraid of doing business with CMS based on my reported problems.

> I have also been told that floppy tape drives are less
> reliable. Is that really true? If so, how. The choice for me right now,

Once again, you might consider CMS's "jumperless controller card".  It makes
the Jumbo drive independent of the floppy controller.

> (I'm looking to buy a tape backup) is to go with Jumbo ($250) or a
> streaming 60MB tape unit such as that by Everex (DC600A 1/4" cartridges
> and QIC-24 format, costing $660). I don't care much for speed but do care

IMHO, the Everex drive is a very good one, and well worth the price.  We even
got a free tape with the last one we installed.  There are other comanies
selling similar drives for less money, but you don't get a free tape :-)

> for reliability, but is it worth the $400 difference to go for the
> cartridge tape drive.

I am working in a consulting capacity with small businesses.  For them, I
feel I really have to recommend a QIC-24 drive (if for nothing more than their
high speed).  Somehow I get the feeling from your posting that your system is
a more personal one.  If so, all I can say is do what you feel right about.

				Jay Ts
				Metran Technology
				uunet!pdn!tscs!metran!jay

savage@tigger.Colorado.EDU (Metallica Rules) (11/28/90)

In article <333@metran.UUCP> jay@metran.UUCP (Jay Ts) writes:
>Talk to CMS directly; I'm sure they will be happy to send you their latest
>driver version for you to try out.  But at least wait for rev. 2.39, OK?

I have been working with them since version 1.2 or so, and they keep trying,
but all I want out of it is tar.  Right now with my version you can tar to
tape, but you can not get the data back.  At least I know my stuff is backed
up, but I can't get it if I accidently delete a file, :(.

>Oh, one more thing. CMS seems to have much more confidence in their "jumperless
>controller card" than the floppy controller.  It's (I think) $125 extra, but
>probably worth it.

Yeah, I had to get the Jumperless controller card to run the tape drive, but it
was due to having too many floppy drives and not enough support.  It, the card,
has worked flawlessly.

I am running ISC 2.2, but I didn't have the same problem as Jay.  Mine
installed with no hitches.

>				Jay Ts

Chuck
--
savage%tigger@boulder.colorado.edu

ilan343@violet.berkeley.edu (Geraldo Veiga) (11/29/90)

In article <513@quadron.COM> patrick@quadron.COM (Patrick Linstruth) writes:
>Colorado Memory Systems now sells a Unix driver for their tape backup.
>I think it became available last month.

I thought Interactice's Unix 2.2 has support for this tape drive, at
least it is listed among their drivers.  Is there something wrong with
Interactive's built-in  driver?