[comp.unix.sysv386] X11R4 server with TCP/IP support

bfls@cain.anu.edu.au (Barbara La Scala) (11/28/90)

Has anyone compiled Thomas Roell's VGA server with TCP/IP support?  The
compiled server in X11R4bin.tar.Z only has streams support, not TCP/IP.  We
need the TCP/IP support but we don't have 80 meg of free disk to do the
compilation ourselves.  If anyone has done this or is planning to do so, could
they put the binaries somewhere they can be accessed by anonymous ftp?

#include<lots of grovelling>

Barbara La Scala              Internet: bfls@cain.anu.edu.au

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (12/01/90)

bfls@cain.anu.edu.au (Barbara La Scala) writes:

>Has anyone compiled Thomas Roell's VGA server with TCP/IP support?  The
>compiled server in X11R4bin.tar.Z only has streams support, not TCP/IP.

I have managed to compile and link most of the stuff with TCP/IP support.
Almost all the problems I mentioned earlier in this group were
solved by using stock gcc rather than one modified for use with gas.

There are still some problems left, though:

  Xdm will not compile. It depends on <sys/un.h>, which is not on my
  system. I'm using ISC Unix 2.0.2 with TCP/IP 1.2.

  When I start the server, "Getting interface configuration: invalid argument"
  is displayed, just before it goes to graphics mode.
  This message turns out to come from mit/server/os/4.2bsd/access.c,
  which does an ioctl(SIOCGIFCONF) that fails.

  TCP/IP connections do not work. When I do an "xterm -display localhost:0",
  ps shows there is a process, and netstat shows there is a connection,
  yet no window appears.

  I had to add "-linet" to ExtraLoadFlags in mit/config/at386.cf.
  The comments indicate this would only be necessary when using
  non-shared libraries. This confuses me. Did I do the right thing?

Otherwise, everything works just like in the binary distribution.

Every help concerning these matters is greatly appreciated.
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim