[comp.unix.sysv386] 386/ix hard disk format trouble

pwj@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (Paul Jardetzky) (11/27/90)

I am trying to install Interactive 386/ix on a Sun 386 box and am unable
to format a Maxtor 1085 (71meg drive, 17sec/track, 8 heads, 1024 cyl) from the
boot diskette. It reads the shape of the disk correctly but exactly
half way through the format (track 4096) it stops and continues to click
for up to 5 hours. The drive formats correctly under DOS.

I have a WD1003 controller. Has anyone had any experience with this
problem? any Ideas?

Thanks very much.

Paul Jardetzky <pwj@uk.ac.cam.cl>

shwake@raysnec.UUCP (Ray Shwake) (11/28/90)

pwj@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (Paul Jardetzky) writes:

>I am trying to install Interactive 386/ix on a Sun 386 box and am unable
>to format a Maxtor 1085 (71meg drive, 17sec/track, 8 heads, 1024 cyl) from the
>boot diskette. It reads the shape of the disk correctly but exactly
>half way through the format (track 4096) it stops and continues to click
>for up to 5 hours. The drive formats correctly under DOS.

	First, I'd suggest moving from your ancient 1003 to a current 1006V.
The performance boost will be notable. Second, if it's already formatted
such that DOS recognizes the entire drive, why are you reformatting? Release
Notes for ISC since at least 2.0.2 indicate that formatted disks need not,
and should not, be reformatted by ISC itself.

In article <1990Nov26.172045.22926@cl.cam.ac.uk> pwj@ely.cl.cam.ac.uk (Paul Jardetzky) writes:
>I am trying to install Interactive 386/ix on a Sun 386 box and am unable
>to format a Maxtor 1085 (71meg drive, 17sec/track, 8 heads, 1024 cyl) from the
>boot diskette. It reads the shape of the disk correctly but exactly
>half way through the format (track 4096) it stops and continues to click
>for up to 5 hours. The drive formats correctly under DOS.

Don't use interactives low level format.  use the HD controller rom software
or a dos package to do the low level format and then tell 386/ix not to
format it.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170