[comp.unix.sysv386] Problems with CPIO/Archive 150M tape

isca@icaen.uiowa.edu (Iowa Student Computer Assoc) (11/30/90)

Not being that familiar with Sys V, I'd like some help...
I was trying to help a person today do some backup on his unix box.  The
config is as follows:

       Intel 386 Computer, etc.
       Archive V2150S (150 Meg SCSI tape drive)
       Interactive Unix 2.2

He had been doing backup using D600A tapes left over from an older system.
Today, cpio suddenly decided to hang part way through the backup.  Now,
these really aren't the correct tapes  - (I forget the correct #) but
they seemed to work - apparently until they get to the end of the tape.
My question is: should cpio give an error when it gets to the end of the
tape, or is there a way to tell the drive that it has a 60M tape instead?

The commands I was using to back up were: (from memory, I hope they're right)

     ls | cpio -cvB >/dev/tape
           or
     ls | cpio -cvB -O /dev/tape

Thanks.
|  David Lacey                           | Try the ISCA BBS and Archives    |
|  President, Iowa Student Computer Assn | Telnet/FTP: isca.icaen.uiowa.edu |
|  The University of Iowa                | telnet/rlogin in as iscabbs      |
|  isca@icaen.uiowa.edu                  | 1.3 GIG of disk space and growing|

aab@cichlid.com (Andy Burgess) (12/02/90)

In article <3352@ns-mx.uiowa.edu> isca@icaen.uiowa.edu (Iowa Student Computer Assoc) writes:

>Not being that familiar with Sys V, I'd like some help...
>I was trying to help a person today do some backup on his unix box.  The
>config is as follows:
>
>       Intel 386 Computer, etc.
>       Archive V2150S (150 Meg SCSI tape drive)
>       Interactive Unix 2.2
>
>He had been doing backup using D600A tapes left over from an older system.
>Today, cpio suddenly decided to hang part way through the backup.  Now,
>these really aren't the correct tapes  - (I forget the correct #) but

DC6150 are the 150Mb tapes.

>they seemed to work - apparently until they get to the end of the tape.
>My question is: should cpio give an error when it gets to the end of the
>tape, or is there a way to tell the drive that it has a 60M tape instead?

DC 600A tape hold about 120Mb using an Archive 2150S. You may need to tell
your cpio that the tapes are 120Mb not 150Mb tapes. I don't believe that the
drive can tell the difference between 600A and 6250.

Then again, I may be off base. You didn't say exactly what the error was.

Andy

--
Andy Burgess
Independent Consultant