[comp.unix.sysv386] UNIX System V

In article <4350@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> cen@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Charles E. Newman) writes:

|     A friend of mine may be able to get AT&T UNIX system V at a
| discount for me.
	[ ... ]
|                            Can I get away with running on a 8086 or
| 80286 machine. An 80386 motherboard is too outraegeously expensive,
| about $2000, which is too much money. How much hard disk space do I
| need. I currently have a 20MB hard disk and average about 8 to 12
| megabytes free at any one time.

  In a word, forget it. 386SX boards are going for < $400, + about
$50/MB for memory, and you'll need at least 4MB. If you think that's too
expensive then the price of the 100MB of disk you'll want is going to
break your heart.

  UNIX takes some room to deliver all that performance.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) (11/24/90)

cen@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Charles E. Newman) writes:
>An 80386 motherboard is too outraegeously expensive,
>about $2000, which is too much money.

$895 for a 33mhz 386w/0k is "outraegeously expensive"? Even figuring in
8megs of RAM at $66/SIMM, you're still way under that $2k figure.

>need. I currently have a 20MB hard disk and average about 8 to 12
>megabytes free at any one time.

Depends on what you install. 20mb is probably what you need to install the base
system. X, UUCP, etc., add more HD space.

MD
--
-- Michael P. Deignan, President     -- Small Business Systems, Inc. --
-- Domain: mpd@anomaly.sbs.com       -- Box 17220, Esmond, RI 02917  --

In article <4350@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> cen@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Charles E. Newman) writes:
>What kind of processor and how much memory do I need to
>run AT&T UNIX System V. Can I get away with running on a 8086 or
>80286 machine.

No. You need a 386. (Although if you want to run UNIX on a 286, you can
use Xenix or Microport SV/AT - NOTE that I do not recommend this.  I have
been working with 8086, 80286, and 80386+ UNIXs and it wasn't until the
80386 version that pc-UNIX became a reality).

> An 80386 motherboard is too outraegeously expensive, about $2000

I don't know where you are getting your pricing from, but you can get a 33MHZ
386 motherboard in the 1200-1500 range.  Lower for 20 or 25 MHZ.  As far
as power is concerned, we ran a system with 4 developers on a 16MHZ 386
and 2 90MB RLL drives for around a year.  Performance was very good (although
now we have gotten used to our 33MHZ system with caching ESDI controller).

>How much hard disk space do I
>need. I currently have a 20MB hard disk and average about 8 to 12
>megabytes free at any one time.

The amount of disk space varies, but you certainly don't have enough.  To
install the full UNIX package including all the extensions you need around
100MB.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (11/27/90)

In article <1990Nov26.224307.22119@unixland.uucp> bill@unixland.uucp (Bill Heiser) writes:
>In article <363@anomaly.sbs.com> mpd@anomaly.sbs.com (Michael P. Deignan) writes:
>>$895 for a 33mhz 386w/0k is "outraegeously expensive"? Even figuring in
>>8megs of RAM at $66/SIMM, you're still way under that $2k figure.
>
>It's amazing the way the prices are dropping.

The prices of the boards should drop another good size notch now that AMD can
market their Intel 386 clones.  I haven't seen any ads mentioning the new chips
though.

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development

gary@sci34hub.UUCP (Gary Heston) (11/29/90)

In article <4350@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US> cen@sactoh0.SAC.CA.US (Charles E. Newman) writes:
>    A friend of mine may be able to get AT&T UNIX system V at a
>discount for me. In other words, I may be able to get it at a
>discount. What kind of processor and how much memory do I need to
>run AT&T UNIX System V. Can I get away with running on a 8086 or
>80286 machine. An 80386 motherboard is too outraegeously expensive,
>about $2000, which is too much money. How much hard disk space do I
>need. I currently have a 20MB hard disk and average about 8 to 12
>megabytes free at any one time.

Why didn't you ask your friend about the hardware requirements, since
he/she is obviously working at AT&T or a distributor, and would have
all this info?

You'd have to have a 386, which I've seen for lots less than $2K.

You'd need a minimum of 4MB, unless you want to run X-windows and
networking, in which case you might get by with 8MB but really need
16MB.

A 64MB hard drive is marginal, it'll fill up pretty fast, especially
if you try to install any Gnu software (good stuff, just takes room),
news, different mailers, and such. AT&T SysV/386 won't fit on a 20MB
drive and leave you any free space.

--
Gary Heston System Mismanager and technoflunky uunet!sci34hub!gary or
My opinions, not theirs.  SCI Systems, Inc.     gary@sci34hub.sci.com

In article <835@sci34hub.UUCP> gary@sci34hub.sci.com (Gary Heston) writes:
>You'd need a minimum of 4MB, unless you want to run X-windows and
>networking, in which case you might get by with 8MB but really need
>16MB.

Just a nit pick.  8MB is what you need.  12 or 16 meg is better, but not
mandatory.  We have several systems which run with NFS, X, TCP/IP, SDS,
etc and have no problems running X with 8 or 10 clients on 8MB.

Of course, you can get an extra 4 MB for around $200 these days which
makes the decisions easier.

                                                Sterling, VA 22170