[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO's V.4 plans ...

rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) (11/30/90)

vlr@litwin.com (Vic Rice) writes:

> Wouldn't the pending release of OSF/1 have some impact on SCO's willingness
> to work V.4 ?

The first time I saw this, I thought "of course not; why would they bother
with OSF/1?"  But I thought about it a little more and decided that maybe
it was sensible to ask, even though it seems pretty unlikely that any of
the current clan of 386 UNIX vendors would go to OSF/1.  I'm not sure what
would be gained with OSF/1 vs V.4, and V.4 is certainly much closer to
"reality (as we know it)."

Anyone with a crystal ball forsee a 386 OSF/1 in the "near future"--say in
the next year or so?  If so, from whom and why?
--
Dick Dunn     rcd@ico.isc.com -or- ico!rcd       Boulder, CO   (303)449-2870
   ...Mr. Natural says, "Use the right tool for the job."

perand@admin.kth.se (Per Andersson) (12/03/90)

In article <1990Nov29.222544.2505@ico.isc.com> rcd@ico.isc.com (Dick Dunn) writes:
>Anyone with a crystal ball forsee a 386 OSF/1 in the "near future"--say in
>the next year or so?  If so, from whom and why?

No crystal ball, sorry.
But a few facts..  i386 support is in osf/1. i386 support for Mach was done by
Olivetti and Intel I think. As to who will ship binaries - well ?
Who are the members shipping i386 systems ?
--
Per Andersson (perand@admin.kth.se, perand@stacken.kth.se)
Trying a new job at Bofors Electronics,