[comp.unix.sysv386] X11R4 Server for Esix/Mouse problems

mknister@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Michael John Knister) (12/02/90)

I've been working on running Thomas Roell's new X11R4 under ESIX Rev.
D.  It compiles almost perfectly as-is with GCC.  One minor problem is
getting the gdbm library, which doesn't seem to compile correctly with
GCC, but works fine with the Esix CC.  After getting X and gdbm
compiled, I can get the X display (on a STB EM-16+/Powergraph), run X
applications, and use the keyboard.

The only serious problem is the mouse driver.  I believe it would work
fine with either a Mouse Systems or Microsoft SERIAL mouse, since
wrote code to directly access the tty port.  Unfortunately, I have a
Microsoft Bus mouse, and I can't make it work.  I've tried opening the
/dev/xms5 (the ESIX driver for Microsoft Bus mouse; it gets linked to
/dev/xlm in Esix's xconfig), but trying to read from it gives me a
ENODEV error: no such device.  Supposedly, from the ESIX Release
Notes, this is a STREAMS device driver.  I also tried getmsg, which
returned ENOSTR error: not a stream.  Perhaps an ioctl is needed to
turn it on.  I do not have the manual set, so the only mouse driver
information I have is from page xlbm-1 of Appendix A in the release
notes, which has not been very useful.

The other (more minor) problem is that once X exits, the screen is
messed up; it prints only blank spaces and vertical bars.

Once I figure out how to make the mouse work, I can post the server
binaries if people want them.

Does anyone know how to access the mouse drivers under Esix?  I'd
appreciate any help.

thanks

-Mike
mknister@eecs.umich.edu

scott@nancy.uucp (Scott Bartram) (12/04/90)

In article <1990Dec2.065729.9077@zip.eecs.umich.edu> mknister@dip.eecs.umich.edu (Michael John Knister) writes:

>I've been working on running Thomas Roell's new X11R4 under ESIX Rev.
>D.  It compiles almost perfectly as-is with GCC.  One minor problem is
>getting the gdbm library, which doesn't seem to compile correctly with
>GCC, but works fine with the Esix CC.  After getting X and gdbm
>compiled, I can get the X display (on a STB EM-16+/Powergraph), run X
>applications, and use the keyboard.

[ description of mouse problems deleted - sorry, I can't help there ]

When compiling gdbm on 386 *nix systems with gcc, make sure to add
the '-fpcc-struct-return' flag. The DBM routines return an entire
structure not a pointer to a structure. This flag will make gcc
produce code compatable with the stock cc (and the libraries, etc).

>-Mike
>mknister@eecs.umich.edu

scott
Scott Bartram                                   UUCP: uunet!nancy!scott
Consultant                                      VOICE: 703-968-6300
American Systems Corporation