[comp.unix.sysv386] Smail 2.5 and SCO Unix 3.2.2

kory@avatar.avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) (12/03/90)

I'm trying to get smail 2.5 to work under SCO Unix 3.2.2 and I'm having
lot's of problems. For some reason, smail seems to get in a loop and
respawns itself until the max number of processes per user is exceeded, then,
it just seems to hang.

If anyone has gotten smail to work under sco unix 3.2.2 please help!!

Thanks,
--kory

Kory Hamzeh             UUCP: avatar!kory or ..!uunet!avatar!kory
                    INTERNET: kory@avatar.com

klarich@d.cs.okstate.edu (KLARICH TERRY JAME) (12/04/90)

In article <107@avatar.avatar.com> kory@avatar.avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) writes:
>I'm trying to get smail 2.5 to work under SCO Unix 3.2.2 and I'm having
>lot's of problems.

I would suggest getting mmdf to work.  Sco doesn't distribute the latest
version.  You can get the last release from gatekeeper.dec.com.  This is
the mailer I use both at home (xenix 2.3.3) and at work (ultrix 4.0).  I
have been happy with the ease of configuration as well as the ease of
operation.

Terry Klarich <klarich@d.cs.okstate.edu> n5hts

calhoun@usaos.uucp (Warren D. Calhoun) (12/04/90)

In <1990Dec3.185151.23821@d.cs.okstate.edu> klarich@d.cs.okstate.edu (KLARICH TERRY JAME) writes:

>In article <107@avatar.avatar.com> kory@avatar.avatar.com (Kory Hamzeh) writes:
>>I'm trying to get smail 2.5 to work under SCO Unix 3.2.2 and I'm having
>>lot's of problems.

>I would suggest getting mmdf to work.  Sco doesn't distribute the latest
>version.  You can get the last release from gatekeeper.dec.com.  This is
>the mailer I use both at home (xenix 2.3.3) and at work (ultrix 4.0).  I
>have been happy with the ease of configuration as well as the ease of
>operation.

Or, just go with smail3.  It has numerous advantages over smail2.5 (it's a
completely different animal), and compiles on SCO Unix 3.2.[012] MUCH easier
than mmdf.  Combine this with something like ELM 2.3 and you have a powerful
setup.

--
| SSG W.D. Calhoun                  |       UUCP: ...!uunet!usaos!calhoun    |
| Gas Turbine Engine (52F) Branch   |   INTERNET: calhoun%usaos@uunet.uu.net |