[comp.unix.sysv386] INTEL V5 Rel 4

larry@nstar (Larry Snyder) (11/25/90)

bill@alembic.acs.com (Bill Hatch) writes:

>We are planning to install Intel V386 Rel 4 in the following hardware
>configuration:

>HP Vectra RS/C  20 Mhz  64KB Cashe, 8 Mb RAM,
>300 Mb HP SCSI disk / Adaptec SCSI controller
>Paridise Color VGA
>Irwin 80 Mb Mini Cartridge Tape
>8 Port Intelligent Controller

I'm glad you brought this up - as I have been to busy to post info
here -

We purchased Intel release 4.0 from Programmers Connections for $1350.

We can't get it to boot on this machine (which runs 386/ix just fine).
Specifics - 33 mhz 386 with 12 megs of ram (we went down to 8 megs to
see if the problem cleared up without luck), Adaptec 1542B, 3 SCSI drives,
and assorted other boards which we pulled to see if they were the problem.

The Adaptec 1542 boot disks starts to boot, puts up the copyright notices,
then hangs after telling me the drive types (which are correct so it has
looked at the drives through the controller).

I tried another machine - and the same thing happened -- no boot.

I don't have the time to devote 100% to this project - so I don't want
to start my 30 day free support from Intel at this time..

Any ideas or pointers out there?

>I would like to know if Intel V386 Rel 4 includes the necessary drivers
>for this hardware configuration or if the drivers for V.4 are provided
>by the hardware manufacturers.   Stan Philips at Media Integration helped
>us in selecting the hard disk and in eliminating a SCSI controller
>that was "probably not" V.4 compatible yet.

From looking over the release notes - the following tape devices are
supported:

Tape Controller             Tape Drive
Wangtek PC-36               Wangtec 5099-EN
Everex 811 (Bell Tech)      Wangtec 5150-EN
Everex 811 (Bell Tech)      Archive Viper 2150L
Archive SC499-R             Archive Ext. FT-60
Archive VP402               Archive Viper 2150L
Archive VP402               Wangtec 5150EN

Ok, video boards beyond VGA/EGA

Orchid Pro Designer VGA
Paradise VGA Plus 16
STB VGA Extra/EM 16
Video7 VRAM VGA

Controllers:

1542/1640 Adaptec SCSI
WD 7000 SCSI
ESDI/ST-506

Networking:

PC586
ENET586
MXLAN586
N10
8003

Let me see - smart boards - none are supported in the distribution
software - so it's up to you to contact you multiport vendor directly --

have fun - and wear a smile.  Maybe over the xmas holidays I'll get
this working --

we are (were) planning on installing this on our NFS server --

Interactive Unix 3.2 (release 2.20) is so damn solid - the system
reboots and checks the file systems several times a week (we have
been having power problems on a regular basis) without ANY problems -
likewise disk and serial IO is extremely fast...

which way to go?
 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

wiljo@ipkima.hanse.de (Wiljo Heinen) (12/04/90)

larry@nstar (Larry Snyder) writes:

>We can't get it to boot on this machine (which runs 386/ix just fine).
>Specifics - 33 mhz 386 with 12 megs of ram (we went down to 8 megs to
>see if the problem cleared up without luck), Adaptec 1542B, 3 SCSI drives,
>and assorted other boards which we pulled to see if they were the problem.

>The Adaptec 1542 boot disks starts to boot, puts up the copyright notices,
>then hangs after telling me the drive types (which are correct so it has
>looked at the drives through the controller).

>I tried another machine - and the same thing happened -- no boot.

>I don't have the time to devote 100% to this project - so I don't want
>to start my 30 day free support from Intel at this time..

>Any ideas or pointers out there?

Hm - I had a similar - though not the same prob. Using Adaptec 1542A with single
SCSI drive (btw. "unrecognized drive type"), the system would boot, ask for
the second floppy (aha!) and then -- "die disgracefully". But it would
at least complain about "VTOC unsupported" "unable to write boot sector"
and so on.

Wiping the old (ISC 3.2) operating system from the disk (that is preformatting
the disk) helped. System now runs (fine ???), that is a (slow) 20MHz AT with
8 MB RAM, 1 SCSI drive.

(even C-news, nn and smail 3.1 are up again, which took me quite some time)

>which way to go?

good question. Just trying to figure it out myself ....

cheers

	Wiljo
--
snail-mail:	     	e-mail:			      	phone lines: