[comp.unix.sysv386] Dell System V.4

mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) (11/29/90)

I've heard some people mention that Dell's Unix has then GNU code already
up and running.  Does anyone know if Dell released their changes back to GNU?

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development

james@raid.dell.com (James Van Artsdalen) (11/30/90)

Disclaimer: I am not in the unix group here at Dell: I can't speak
officially for them.  But I can answer some questions on the state of
SysVr4 support in a couple of FSF projects.

In <335@srchtec.UUCP>, mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) wrote:

> I've heard some people mention that Dell's Unix has then GNU code
> already up and running.  Does anyone know if Dell released their
> changes back to GNU?

We have signed over the changes I have made to gcc (miscellaneous bug
fixes so far, Weitek support and maybe OS/2 masm support in gcc v2).
We don't ship gcc with any product at this time.  Ron Guilmette has
donated gcc/ELF support to FSF - once this is stable, we'll probably
ship gcc.  gcc 1.38 will include a minimalist no-debug configuration
for SysVr4/i386.  Ron's work will supplant this in gcc v2.

We have also signed over the emacs changes I made.  FSF is about to
release 18.56, which will include a minimalist SysVr4 configuration
(no PTYs for example).  emacs v19 will include full SysVr4 support.
Dell is shipping 18.55 modified for full SysVr4 support.

Our gdb work was done here by Dave McCraken.  We have not yet signed
the papers on it, but will do so.  We have not yet begun cleansing the
port for submission to FSF - RMS is a real sticker on format,
indentation, comments, etc.
--
James R. Van Artsdalen          james@raid.dell.com       "Live Free or Die"
Dell Computer Corporation  9505 Arboretum Blvd Austin TX 78759  512-338-8789

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (11/30/90)

In article <12743@uudell.dell.com> james@raid.dell.com (James Van Artsdalen) writes:
>Disclaimer: I am not in the unix group here at Dell: I can't speak
>officially for them.  But I can answer some questions on the state of
>SysVr4 support in a couple of FSF projects.
>
>In <335@srchtec.UUCP>, mra@srchtec.uucp (Michael Almond) wrote:
>
>> I've heard some people mention that Dell's Unix has then GNU code
>> already up and running.  Does anyone know if Dell released their
>> changes back to GNU?
>
>We have signed over the changes I have made to gcc (miscellaneous bug
>fixes so far, Weitek support and maybe OS/2 masm support in gcc v2).
>We don't ship gcc with any product at this time.  Ron Guilmette has
>donated gcc/ELF support to FSF - once this is stable, we'll probably
>ship gcc.  gcc 1.38 will include a minimalist no-debug configuration
>for SysVr4/i386.  Ron's work will supplant this in gcc v2.

Great!

I was just curious how well vendors support the GNU project.  Dell's Unix seems
to be just about the Best on the market, if only it would run (support) on
other boxes.  The price for a limited-user system is great $1000<.

Maybe I should get that flier back out.

;-)

---

In article <341@srchtec.UUCP> mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) writes:

| I was just curious how well vendors support the GNU project.  Dell's Unix seems
| to be just about the Best on the market, if only it would run (support) on
| other boxes.  The price for a limited-user system is great $1000<.
|
| Maybe I should get that flier back out.

  Actually the Dell V.4 seems to run okay on a number of non-Dell boxes.
The only machine which gave us trouble in testing was a real Dell,
although the problem was not with their hardware, just part of the
learning process on EISA. Anyone else learning to hate it?
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX