[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO ODT and uugetty

bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias) (12/02/90)

Has anyone had any success with uugetty with SCO ODT (without the
server upgrade)?

I've setup a machine with ODT to receive a USENET feed and that machine feeds
a Unisys Unix machine which I setup using uugetty.  The SCO machine has no
problems talking to the Unisys machine.  I decided to then setup the SCO box
with uugetty but have not been able to make it work.  To get around this
problem, I currently have the SCO machine poll the Unisys machine every four
hours.  The USENET feed is coming in thru a TrailBlazer T-2500 from a ICL
machine and the SCO and Unisys boxes use a direct connect RS-232 line.   I
can not make uugetty work on the SCO machine for either the modem or direct
connection.

--
Robert J. Mathias, Jr                uucp: ...!uunet!ccicpg!uis-oc!ns.UUCP!bob
Unisys Corporation                   voice: (714) 727-0323

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (12/04/90)

According to bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias):
>I've setup a machine with ODT to receive a USENET feed and that machine feeds
>a Unisys Unix machine which I setup using uugetty.  The SCO machine has no
>problems talking to the Unisys machine.  I decided to then setup the SCO box
>with uugetty but have not been able to make it work.

The problem may be with SCO's uugetty, which doesn't recognize the
correct names for the higher line speeds.  The old uugetty, when
interpreting /etc/gettydefs, uses the old Xenix names for 19200 and
38400.

To "fix" this problem, in /etc/gettydefs, create an entry just like
the one you wanted to use, except that "B19200" is replaced with
"EXTA" (the old Xenix label for 19200 bps).  Then change /etc/inittab
to run uugetty with the new gettydefs entry's name.
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
      "I'm really sorry I feel this need to insult some people..."

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (12/07/90)

In article <275A9717.3E63@tct.uucp> chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) writes:
>According to bob@ns.UUCP (Robert J. Mathias):
>"B19200" is replaced with
>"EXTA" (the old Xenix label for 19200 bps)

Just a nit, but B19200 is the new XENIX label that replaced EXTA.
Standard getty code doesn't know the extension exists.  In the
old days, EXTA and EXTB _usually_ meant 9600 and 19200, but
they were not specified, remaining vendor-specific.  With most *nix
today EXTA means 19200 and EXTB 38400.

Warren Tucker                     emory!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
"I was 35 years old before I knew a pie was meant to be eaten." - Moe Howard