[comp.unix.sysv386] SCO UNIX CodeView Keyboard Mapping

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec06.213627.12619@digibd.com> rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:
>OK, so I read TFM and I don't see where it sets up the
>keyboard so codeview knows an ALT+<char> when it sees it.

I believe it's in the release notes (although it should be in the manual
page).  In any event:

	mapkey /usr/lib/keyboard/cv

I do this, even though I don't use codeview (generally, adb is enough for me
8-)), because I use emacs.  Also note that it maps <CAPS LOCK> to <CONTROL>.
This is easy enough to fix, if you wish (look at the file, and compare it to
/usr/lib/keyboard/keys).

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

lerman@stpstn.UUCP (Ken Lerman) (12/07/90)

In article <1990Dec06.213627.12619@digibd.com> rhealey@digibd.com (Rob Healey) writes:

>	OK, so I read TFM and I don't see where it sets up the
>	keyboard so codeview knows an ALT+<char> when it sees it.
>	I've got the keyboard setup as an AT keyboard, which it is, and
>	the terminal type set to ansi. HOW do I get the keyboard to
>	generate the unique codes for codeview when the ALT key is pressed?
>	I currently get the key itself. i.e. ALT+H returns H. What's the
>	deal? istrip is off and cs8 is set too. I'd like to be able to
>	USE the ALT key shortcuts...
>
>		-Rob
>
>Speaking for self, not company.

From the Release and Installation Notes for SCO UNIX System V
Development System (a document marked 18 July 1990/3.2.2), page 8:

The file /usr/lib/keyboard/cv, which is included in your standard
distribution, must be renamed to replace the file
/usr/lib/keyboard/keys in order to access the special functions of
keys used in conjunction with the <Alt> key.  The original
/usr/lib/keyboard/keys file should be saved as a precaution.  For
example, to perform the above described operation, log in as root (the
super user) and give the following commands:

	mv /usr/lib/keyboard/keys /usr/lib/keyboard/keys.bkp
	cp /usr/lib/keyboard/cv /usr/lib/keyboard/keys

You should also add the following command to the /etc/rc file to direct your system to customize the keyboard automatically at boot time:

	mapkey

However, if your system has an <F12> key, the <Alt> key functions can
be used by first pressing <F12> and then the <Alt><key> combination
needed.

Ken