[comp.unix.sysv386] remote access login??

ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) (12/03/90)

Hello everyone,
	I am having a problem getting remote access to function on
my 386, running Unix System V, version 3.2.3. Ok, here is the deal.
In inittab, I have the following:
t0:23:respawn:/usr/lib/uucp/uugetty -r -t60 1200 tty00
When I do a ps, I see uugetty sitting happily on /dev/tty00. When
I phone the computer, however, the modem answers with a tone, but
then hangs. From that time on, uugetty is gone, but there is a
login going on the port instead. If I look at the modem, the RD and
SD lights are blinking rapidly, or continous, casuing me to believe
that somehow the modem itself is responding to the login prompt or
something. I dunno. Anyway, what did I leave out. Ah yes, the modem
is a Hayes Smartmodem 1200. One more thing that might be tied into
this, but I don't think so. When I first turn on the computer, it runs
through all the diags, and the serial port checks out ok. After unix has been
run, however, and a soft boot is done, the serial port fails in the diags.
So a soft boot doesn't clear up the fail message in the resident diags,
but a hard boot WILL clear the fail message. I don't know. It is an AT&T
6386 WGS computer, and I am not too sure what the serial port is, although
it is AT&T as well. Sorry that I don't have more info. Oh, one more thing.
When I boot unix, and call the modem for the first time, I here the tone
blip, it doesn't stay on, waiting for the computer to issue a tone, it just
sounds the tone for about 1/2 to 1/4 of a second, and then silence. All
the other times, it holds the tone.
Any help?
-Ron
|Ron Winograd       |Some boy scouts were taking a survey. They knocked on a|
|ron@vpnet.chi.il.us|door and asked the gruff man who answered, "Sir, do you|
|-------------------|think that ignorance or apathy are the biggest problems|
|in America?" Annoyed, he answered, "I don't know, and I really don't care!"|

mra@srchtec.UUCP (Michael Almond) (12/06/90)

In article <275956f6-157comp.unix.sysv386@vpnet.chi.il.us> ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) writes:

>Hello everyone,
>	I am having a problem getting remote access to function on
>my 386, running Unix System V, version 3.2.3. Ok, here is the deal.
>When I phone the computer, however, the modem answers with a tone, but
>then hangs.

Sounds like you have a flow control problem.  If any characters are sent to
the modem before "CONNECT" occurs, the modem will hang up.  This is similar
to when you dial out using "ATD" and hit return before you get "CONNECT".
On T2500 you can disable this "feature", on the Hayes you'll probably need
to get the flow control working properly (hardware (CTS) is best).

>If I look at the modem, the RD and SD lights are blinking rapidly...

Your computer is probably sending repeated XON's (not real sure about this
one).  I'm not real familar with System V (we use Ultrix here), maybe
someone can help you get hardware flow control running.

---
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)           mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				        emory!stiatl!srchtec!mra
Atlanta, Georgia                                         (404) 441-1457 (office)
[search]: Systems Engineering Approaches to Research and Development

ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) (12/08/90)

Update:
I have installed a new 2400 baud Hayes modem, and made it COM1, and
switched the other serial board to COM2. I still can't get it to work
though. Something funny is happening.
If I echo ATDT 475 > /dev/tty00, I here some clicks. This isn't right,
because the T tells it to do touchtone, and I don't here a dialtone at
all, however, the modem works perfectly under DOS. After switching the
other board to COM2, I have no more fail problems with the serial port
in the remote diags.
Anyone know how to make the thing answer the phone and prompt for a login?
-Ron
Ron Winograd        <Insert huge 20 line sig here>        ron@vpnet.chi.il.us

chris@alderan.uucp (Christoph Splittgerber) (12/08/90)

In article <275956f6-157comp.unix.sysv386@vpnet.chi.il.us> ron@vpnet.chi.il.us (Ron Winograd) writes:

>When I do a ps, I see uugetty sitting happily on /dev/tty00. When
>I phone the computer, however, the modem answers with a tone, but
>then hangs. From that time on, uugetty is gone, but there is a
>login going on the port instead. If I look at the modem, the RD and
>SD lights are blinking rapidly, or continous, casuing me to believe
>that somehow the modem itself is responding to the login prompt or
>something. []

Looks to me that your uugetty is spawning the "login:" prompt to your
modem when it gets the "RING"-message from your hayes. At this point
your modem still tries to establish the connection (you don't have the
"CONNECT"-msg yet) and the "login:"-prompt causes the modem to hang up
again. From there on your modem is back in the command modus and keeps
echoing all characters it receives and your uugetty is talking to it's
own echo and talking and talking and talking and ...
You can get around this by not taking /dev/tty00 but the same line with
modem control (see your manual or the FAQ in this newsgroup) and configure
your hayes that the DCD-sig. listens to the remote carrier. In this case
uugetty will hang at open until the connection to the remote modem is
established and the "login:"-prompt will go to where it should go.

Hope this helps,  Chris
Replies-To:  chris@alderan.uucp        UUCP: uunet!mcsun!unido!alderan!chris
Phone:       +49 711 344375            Fax:  +49 711 3460684