[comp.unix.sysv386] QMS JetScript

vic@grep.co.uk (Victor Gavin) (12/07/90)

I've just got hold of a JetScript board for a PC. I have a LaserJet II and
an 386 unix box (SCO) and would like to connect them together.

Can anyone help me ???

		vic
--
Victor Gavin <vic@grep.co.uk||vic@grep.uucp||..!ukc!grep!vic||+44 532 500303>
Grep Limited, Kirkfields Business Centre, Kirk Lane, Leeds, UK, LS19 7LX

woody@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Woody Baker @ Eagle Signal) (12/09/90)

In article <1990Dec06.171411.25084@grep.co.uk>, vic@grep.co.uk (Victor Gavin) writes:

> I've just got hold of a JetScript board for a PC. I have a LaserJet II and
> an 386 unix box (SCO) and would like to connect them together.
>
> Can anyone help me ???
I don't think so.  Jetscript holds the interpreter on disk, and requires
it to be downloaded to the controller board.  Since there is no information
available as to the format required, and as to the port addresses and what
type of port, it is going to be difficult to do this under anything other
than MS-DOS.  There is a loader with the Jetscript board that runs under
DOS.  At anyrate, once you have managed to send the interpreter to the
jetscript board, then you have another problem.  The driver for the board
installs a virtual printer device on the pc.  It is a device handler that
behaves like lpt3.  If you print (using DOS) to lpt3 you get Postscrpt,
if you print to lpt1 you get hp.  There is some magic going on within the
driver code.

The long and the short of it, is that Jetscript is MS-DOS specific.
If you are trying to use it on unix you are basicaly out of luck.

Cheers
Woody