[comp.unix.sysv386] Unix release 4.0

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) (11/18/90)

As most of you know, we are running Interactive release 2.20
here on nstar - which is very fast and solid.  Recently we
purchased Intel System Release 4.0 (version 2.0) and are
considering upgrading nstar over the Christmas holidays.

Has anyone used smart serial port drivers written for Unix
SysV rel 3.2 under SysV rel 4.0?  We have a computone
intelliport - and are wondering if our 3.2 drivers will
run under 4.0?

Will FAS work under SysV rel 4.0?

 {larry@nstar, {uunet|backbone}!nstar!larry, larry%nstar@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu}
                     backbone usenet newsfeeds available
         Public Access Unix Site (219) 289-0282 (5 high speed lines)

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (11/20/90)

In article <1990Nov18.122854.6911@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry
Snyder) writes:
> Has anyone used smart serial port drivers written for Unix
> SysV rel 3.2 under SysV rel 4.0?  We have a computone
> intelliport - and are wondering if our 3.2 drivers will
> run under 4.0?

the 3.2 computone drivers were not very reliable on V.4.  Computone has
come out with 4.0 drivers for this card however.

James Howard        Dell Computer Corp.        !'s:uunet!dell!mustang!jrh
(512) 343-3480      9505 Arboretum Blvd        @'s:jrh@mustang.dell.com
                    Austin, TX 78759-7299

larry@nstar (Larry Snyder) (11/20/90)

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) writes:

>the 3.2 computone drivers were not very reliable on V.4.  Computone has
>come out with 4.0 drivers for this card however.

Not according to Computone tech support as of this morning - the release
4.0 drivers are not available until Jan 1991.

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (11/20/90)

In <12423@uudell.dell.com> jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) writes:

>In article <1990Nov18.122854.6911@nstar.uucp>, larry@nstar.uucp (Larry
>Snyder) writes:
>> Has anyone used smart serial port drivers written for Unix
>> SysV rel 3.2 under SysV rel 4.0?  We have a computone
>> intelliport - and are wondering if our 3.2 drivers will
>> run under 4.0?
>>

>the 3.2 computone drivers were not very reliable on V.4.  Computone has
>come out with 4.0 drivers for this card however.

I have this vague recollection from the "porting guides" that streams
based drivers must be recompiled due to changes in the data structures.
I don't know how many smart port card drivers are streams-based but I
think a number of them are.
Anybody care to comment ?

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) (11/21/90)

In article <1990Nov19.190442.11473@nstar>, larry@nstar (Larry Snyder) writes:
> jrh@mustang.dell.com (James Howard) writes:
>
> >the 3.2 computone drivers were not very reliable on V.4.  Computone has
> >come out with 4.0 drivers for this card however.
>
> Not according to Computone tech support as of this morning - the release
> 4.0 drivers are not available until Jan 1991.

Maybe so, but Dell V.4 will be shipping with them this month.  Computone may
not be ready to release them publicly before then, for whatever reasons.

pim@cti-software.nl (Pim Zandbergen) (11/21/90)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Has anyone used smart serial port drivers written for Unix
>SysV rel 3.2 under SysV rel 4.0?  We have a computone
>intelliport - and are wondering if our 3.2 drivers will
>run under 4.0?

>Will FAS work under SysV rel 4.0?

Aren't SVR4 tty drivers supposed to be STREAMS based ?
I don't think many 3.2 drivers are.
--
Pim Zandbergen                          domain : pim@cti-software.nl
CTI Software BV                         uucp   : uunet!mcsun!hp4nl!ctisbv!pim

wiljo@ipkima.hanse.de (Wiljo Heinen) (11/27/90)

larry@nstar.uucp (Larry Snyder) writes:

>Has anyone used smart serial port drivers written for Unix
>SysV rel 3.2 under SysV rel 4.0?  We have a computone
>intelliport - and are wondering if our 3.2 drivers will
>run under 4.0?

Most probalby won't run. Different handling of tty devices (streams based).

>Will FAS work under SysV rel 4.0?

No ! I tried it and it didn't . (Maybe it says even so in the docs ?)
I will take a look at it and try to modify it (maybe next weekend ?).

Has someone already changed it for Sys V.4 ??? If so, I could spare my
time.

--
snail-mail:	     	e-mail:			      	phone lines:
--------------------+--------------------------------+--------------------------

In article <90.331.15:45:11@ipkima.hanse.de> wiljo@ipkima.hanse.de (Wiljo Heinen) writes:

| >Will FAS work under SysV rel 4.0?
|
| No ! I tried it and it didn't . (Maybe it says even so in the docs ?)
| I will take a look at it and try to modify it (maybe next weekend ?).
|
| Has someone already changed it for Sys V.4 ??? If so, I could spare my
| time.

  Well, one of the Dell guys said they tried it under an early beta
version and it worked. Don't know what's changed, but I suspect it will
work nicely.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (12/10/90)

In <2492@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (Wm E. Davidsen Jr) writes:

>In article <90.331.15:45:11@ipkima.hanse.de> wiljo@ipkima.hanse.de (Wiljo Heinen) writes:

>| >Will FAS work under SysV rel 4.0?
>|
>| No ! I tried it and it didn't . (Maybe it says even so in the docs ?)
>| I will take a look at it and try to modify it (maybe next weekend ?).
>|
>| Has someone already changed it for Sys V.4 ??? If so, I could spare my
>| time.

>  Well, one of the Dell guys said they tried it under an early beta
>version and it worked. Don't know what's changed, but I suspect it will
>work nicely.

I don't think so. A while back, somebody asked and I said I was going to try
hacking it at some point. I haven't done so yet. From what I can deduce so
far it's going to be a question of removing the "line-discipline" type code
from FAS and hooking it in as a Hardware Driver only with streams connections
to the ldterm module. I'm still waiting for my nice manual set. If I get a
chance you may hear more after Xmas !

Tim