[comp.unix.sysv386] Larry Walls Patch program for SCO UNIX

aed@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Davidson) (12/08/90)

does any one know where I can get a version of Larry Walls patch program
that runs in SCO ODT UNIX.  I have a version that copys the files with
the extension .orig. sco only allows files to have 14 chars in there name
Supposedly there is a version that rename files to #

thanks Andy

In article <18329@netcom.UUCP> aed@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Davidson) writes:

| does any one know where I can get a version of Larry Walls patch program
| that runs in SCO ODT UNIX.  I have a version that copys the files with
| the extension .orig. sco only allows files to have 14 chars in there name
| Supposedly there is a version that rename files to #

  There's an option when you compile which uses a single character
instead of .orig. I think the character is ~ rather than #, but no
matter. I use it even on the version I have for V.4, where I do have
long names. The longer name just makes directory listing larger.
    sysop *IX BBS and Public Access UNIX

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley ) (12/11/90)

In article <2544@sixhub.UUCP> davidsen@sixhub.UUCP (bill davidsen) writes:
>In article <18329@netcom.UUCP> aed@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Davidson) writes:
>
>| does any one know where I can get a version of Larry Walls patch program
>| that runs in SCO ODT UNIX.  I have a version that copys the files with
>| the extension .orig. sco only allows files to have 14 chars in there name
>| Supposedly there is a version that rename files to #
>
>  There's an option when you compile which uses a single character
>instead of .orig. I think the character is ~ rather than #, but no
>matter. I use it even on the version I have for V.4, where I do have
>long names. The longer name just makes directory listing larger.

Maybe, but if you run the Configure shell script, it will automatically test
to see if your box supports > 14 character file names or not and compile
accordingly.

--
Kaleb Keithley                      Jet Propulsion Labs
kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

You can please all of the people some of the time,