[comp.unix.sysv386] UNIX and security

jfh@rpp386.cactus.org (John F Haugh II) (12/11/90)

In article <1990Dec10.130840.17449@pegasus.com> richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) writes:
>>	I do find it telling that the first C2 certified system (Gould) and
>>the first B1 certified system (System V/MLS) were UNIX systems.
>
>What's so telling about Unix having something added to it before other
>operating systems?  Name another OS where source code is available.

Naw, it's even less interesting.  UNIX was not the first highest
rated system.  The security levels form a hierarchy - all of the
features and requirements for C2 are contained in B1, and B1 in
B2, and so on.  There were higher rated systems before Gould got
their C2 letter and AT&T their B1 letter and it was done without
everyone having source.
Ma Bell: (512) 832-8832                           Domain: jfh@rpp386.cactus.org