[comp.unix.sysv386] rz and sz file transfer programs under 386ix 2.0.2

mitchemt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Conan the Librarian) (12/07/90)

  Does anyone know how to get the rz and sz file transfers to work under cu?
I tried to type "sz <filename>" on the host and "~$rz < /dev/tty00" on my
machine and it messed up. I recognized the incomming file but started
echoing it when it started coming through. Any help is greatly appreciated.
I have NO desire to use pcomm. Thanks, Terry

     With, Without    There's alot of it about...
     And who'll deny thats what the fighting's all about...

						Pink Floyd

dns@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (David N. Sears) (12/08/90)

In <76956@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> mitchemt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Conan the Librarian) writes:

>  Does anyone know how to get the rz and sz file transfers to work under cu?
>I tried to type "sz <filename>" on the host and "~$rz < /dev/tty00" on my
>machine and it messed up. I recognized the incomming file but started
>echoing it when it started coming through. Any help is greatly appreciated.
>I have NO desire to use pcomm. Thanks, Terry

I've had no luck using [rs]z under cu on System 5. There are versions
of cu that support it. The System 5 cu does not kill it's child
process that is listening on the port, and sz/rz get every other
input character.

I do use both KERMIT and XCMALT as comm shells and they both allow
sz/rz to run as children. However, ISC has implemented the
'exclusive use' lock in their 5.3.2, Kermit recognizes this and
children can't open the port. Fix the source so that Kermit
doesn't make use of exclusive use if your operating system is
ISC 5.3.2.2.

David Sears
EssnJay Systems, Inc.
Huntington, CT

caf@omen.UUCP (Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX) (12/10/90)

In article <781@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM> dns@essnj1.ESSNJAY.COM (David N. Sears) writes:
-In <76956@iuvax.cs.indiana.edu> mitchemt@silver.ucs.indiana.edu (Conan the Librarian) writes:
-
-
->  Does anyone know how to get the rz and sz file transfers to work under cu?

The rz and sz doco should mention that these programs are intended for
dial-in application only.  For dial-out use you can use Professional-YAM
which has complete ZMODEM support including Crash Recovery, AutoDownload, etc.

Chuck Forsberg WA7KGX          ...!tektronix!reed!omen!caf
Author of YMODEM, ZMODEM, Professional-YAM, ZCOMM, and DSZ
  Omen Technology Inc    "The High Reliability Software"
17505-V NW Sauvie IS RD   Portland OR 97231   503-621-3406
TeleGodzilla:621-3746 FAX:621-3735 CIS:70007,2304 Genie:CAF

richard@pegasus.com (Richard Foulk) (12/12/90)

>I do use both KERMIT and XCMALT as comm shells and they both allow
>sz/rz to run as children. However, ISC has implemented the
>'exclusive use' lock in their 5.3.2, Kermit recognizes this and
>children can't open the port. Fix the source so that Kermit
>doesn't make use of exclusive use if your operating system is
>ISC 5.3.2.2.

Or add an additional command to Kermit so that it will spawn any
command you want with its stdin and stdout connected to the modem
port.

--
Richard Foulk		richard@pegasus.com