[comp.unix.sysv386] FrameMaker for ODT

bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carmen Hardina) (12/13/90)

In article <2403@cdin-1.UUCP> fred@cdin-1.UUCP (Fred Rump) writes:
>For some time now SCO has been advertising the availability of Frame under
>UNIX.
>
>Nobody seems to know anything about it even if you try to order one.
>And since we were just talking about scuttlebutts, what gives?
>
>Someone said here once that SCO won't release Frame until UNIX 3.3 is out.
>Anybody have any scoop?

I just spoke to a representative at Frame (1-800-U-4-FRAME) today about
that exact subject, as I wanted a trial version of FrameMaker for SCO
Open Desktop.  He said that although it has been advertised by Frame and
SCO, the product was just coming out of beta test and should be released
anytime soon.  There was no mention of waiting for UNIX 3.3...

	carmen

P.S.  This should not be discussed in comp.unix.XENIX.sco...

chip@chinacat.Unicom.COM (Chip Rosenthal) (12/13/90)

In article <10621@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu>
	bt455s39@uhccux.uhcc.Hawaii.Edu (Carmen Hardina) writes:
>He said that although it has been advertised by Frame and
>SCO, the product was just coming out of beta test and should be released
>anytime soon.

I am cross-posting to comp.text in case any Frame folks are lurking.
Maybe they can set the record straight.

It's unfortunate that the sales people are running around telling everybody
different stories.  I wish they would at least get their heads together
and come up with a consistent excuse.  Or here is a novel one - maybe
they can tell us the truth.

To date, here are the stories I've heard about Framemaker running on ODT:

    (1)  Frame is sitting on it until the new ODT it released rather than
         work around bugs in 1.0.

    (2)  Frame does not have their support in place, and are only selling
         it to corporate accounts.

    (3)  Frame still has it in testing, and hasn't released it yet.

I won't tell you which of the three was the excuse they gave to me :-)

The California folks seemed quite helpful and interested.  They referred
me to the Dallas folks, whereupon |The Excuse| was dropped upon me.
Vaporware I can live with.  It's often the norm in this business, and
we've all learned how to work with that.  Excuses I can't.  They force
me to turn around and make excuses to my clients - and that's just not
the way I prefer to do business.

--
Chip Rosenthal  512-482-8260  |  We was raising insurance premiums, ma.
Unicom Systems Development    |  We was spreading fear of arson.