[comp.unix.sysv386] Wangtek QIC tape drives

dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) (12/11/90)

I recently bought a Wangtek 5125EN tape drive and PC-36 controller.  The
drive is supposedly a 60MB unit.  The documentation that came with it seems
to be somewhat out of date, and looks like it would be more applicable to
a 5099EN drive.  The controller documentation also doesn't match the
controller.  I got the drive from a warehouse sale, so I can't really get
much help from them.

I am running Esix 3.2 rev D, and it recognises the controller OK, and I can
even write and read tapes.  There are however a few things I haven't been
able to sort out.

With the drive and controller setting at their defaults, I am able to
write and read DC600A tapes.  I can't read these tapes back on a 5099
drive (or any other QIC-24 drive), but I can read them on our QIC-150
drives (Archive drives running on Suns).  I can write DC300XL/P tapes,
but can't read them on anything (including the drive that wrote them).
I also found that I can fit 80MB on the DC600A tape.  The drive seems to
be writing 9-track serpentine.  I can also read both DC600A and DC300XL/P
tapes writen on other QIC-24 drives.

There is a jumper on the drive labeled 9/15, which is not installed by
default.  I tried installing a jumper, and I could then write and read
both DC600A and DC300XL/P tapes (on which I could fit 60MB and 45MB
respectively).  I can not read these tapes on any other drives (QIC-24
or QIC-150).  The drive still seems to be writing 9-track serpentine.
In this mode I cannot read any tapes written by other drives.

The only difference in drive operation that I notice that is dependent on the
jumper setting is the speed the tape moves at when reading/writing.  It is
slower when the jumper is not installed (which probably accounts for fitting
80MB rather than 60MB on a DC600A).

Does anyone know if the 5125 drive is really a QIC-24 drive?  I'm getting the
impression that it might be a 15-track (QIC-120?) except that it only writing
9 tracks.  Any information about the drive (and its configuration) would
be much appreciated.

BTW, I've noticed that the Esix `mt' command doesn't work with this
controller.  There is no mention of this command in their release notes.
The manual entry for et(7) lists some ioctls for the Everex/Wangtek/Archive
interfaces, but I cannot find them in any of the header files.  Also, none of
the `portable' rewind methods some people have been posting seem to with this
OS/controller combination.

David
 David Dawes (dawes@suphys.physics.su.oz.au) DoD#210   | Phone: +612 692 2639
 School of Physics, University of Sydney, Australia    | Fax:   +612 660 2903

duc@mport.COM (Richard Ducoty) (12/13/90)

dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) writes:

>I recently bought a Wangtek 5125EN tape drive and PC-36 controller.  The
>drive is supposedly a 60MB unit.  The documentation that came with it seems
>to be somewhat out of date, and looks like it would be more applicable to
>a 5099EN drive.  The controller documentation also doesn't match the
>controller.  I got the drive from a warehouse sale, so I can't really get
>much help from them.

Wangtek Tech support will help you - You can buy a technical manual from
them for $30. Sorry, I don't have the phone # offhand.  They are in southern
California.

The 5125EN is a 125MB tape if my memory serves me.  The 5099EN is a 60MB
and the 5150EN a 150MB drive.  That explains why the 5099EN couldn't read
a 5125EN tape, but the 5150EN could.

You should be able to read QIC-24 tapes.   Call Wangtek -

Richard Ducoty		        \\\\\\\
Microport Inc.		          (.)(.) 			root@mport.com
voice=> (408) 438-8649	             >	 		  	duc@mport.com
fax=>   (408) 438-7560		    -				uunet!mport!duc
                          " militiae species amor est "

aland@informix.com (Colonel Panic) (12/13/90)

In article <1990Dec11.055408.21520@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) writes:
>I recently bought a Wangtek 5125EN tape drive and PC-36 controller.  The
>drive is supposedly a 60MB unit.  The documentation that came with it seems
>to be somewhat out of date, and looks like it would be more applicable to
>a 5099EN drive.  The controller documentation also doesn't match the

The 5125EN is a QIC-120 drive; the AT&T 120/125 MB Streaming Tape Unit
that they sell with the 6386s uses this drive with a 30850-412
controller (don't know what PC-36 means).

>With the drive and controller setting at their defaults, I am able to
>write and read DC600A tapes.  I can't read these tapes back on a 5099
>drive (or any other QIC-24 drive), but I can read them on our QIC-150
>drives (Archive drives running on Suns).  I can write DC300XL/P tapes,

Makes sense.  Many QIC-150 can read (but not write) QIC-120 tapes.

--
Alan Denney      aland@informix.com      {pyramid|uunet}!infmx!aland

"When will Apple get socially responsible and offer separate trash can
 icons for glass, aluminum, and paper?"
  - Lincoln Spector