[comp.unix.sysv386] no access to tty; no job control

cat@pluto.dss.com (Iain Wacey) (12/05/90)

I am trying to write a rlogin type program under Interactive Unix.
I exec the login program but when it starts up a csh i get the message
	Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell...
What I need to know is waht causes this and how can I get around it.
Thanks.

Iain Wacey
cat@pluto.dss.com

rembo@unisoft.UUCP (Tony Rems) (12/13/90)

In article <4091@pluto.dss.com> cat@pluto.dss.com (Iain Wacey) writes:
>I am trying to write a rlogin type program under Interactive Unix.
>I exec the login program but when it starts up a csh i get the message
>	Warning: no access to tty; thus no job control in this shell...
>What I need to know is waht causes this and how can I get around it.
>Thanks.

Well, most likely you have not set up your tty modes and your
controlling terminal properly.  If you really want to do this
right, I'd suggest picking up a copy of:
	"UNIX Network Programming" -by W. Richard Stevens

In chapter 15, he gives a very thorough treatment of rlogin
and how to work ptys and the rlogin process.  Besides that
it's probably one of the best UNIX books out there.

If you want more specific help, you'll need to post some
snipets of code (not the whole thing, please) or feel
free to e-mail it to me.

Good luck.

-Tony