[comp.unix.sysv386] CLOSED TCP connection in Interactive 2.2

eric@mks.com (Eric Gisin) (12/12/90)

We frequently get CLOSED TCP connections in Interactive UNIX 2.2.
For example,
tcp        0      0  femto.login            mks.1021               CLOSED
is the result of a dead rlogin from mks to femto.
Once such a connection exists, it does not go away.
And if 1021 is the next available reserved port on mks,
"rlogin femto" will fail with "Connection timed out".
You can work around this by running two rlogins, the second will work.
It also happens with rsh, which is more serious for us because we
use rsh to do backups over the net.

Do others encounter this bug? I think 2.0 had this bug, and the 2.2.1
summary doesn't mention this bug being fixed. Is there any way to kill this
CLOSED connection without rebooting?

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (12/13/90)

In <1990Dec11.203017.7862@mks.com> eric@mks.com (Eric Gisin) writes:

>We frequently get CLOSED TCP connections in Interactive UNIX 2.2.
>For example,
>tcp        0      0  femto.login            mks.1021               CLOSED
>is the result of a dead rlogin from mks to femto.
>Once such a connection exists, it does not go away.
>And if 1021 is the next available reserved port on mks,
>"rlogin femto" will fail with "Connection timed out".
>You can work around this by running two rlogins, the second will work.
>It also happens with rsh, which is more serious for us because we
>use rsh to do backups over the net.

>Do others encounter this bug? I think 2.0 had this bug, and the 2.2.1
>summary doesn't mention this bug being fixed. Is there any way to kill this
>CLOSED connection without rebooting?

Yes I've seen this. If a PC is telnetted in to the system and is switched
off, the telnetd on the host side does not die. The annoying part is that
this *did* work with 1.1.2. I don't know what's broken, KEEPALIVE code ?
TCP timers ?. Somebody running SCO UNIX told me that they have the same
problem with TCP/IP there. Can anybody (Lachman ?) comment ?

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk