[comp.unix.sysv386] can I run SCO UNIX

iago@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (tsource) (12/11/90)

I am going to be buying a sco unix machine that is a sx. I can not afford
a larger machine.  SCO said they never tried on a sx but shaw no reson why
not, but refused to let me talk to one their tech people.  So I am stuck
asking here if I have enough drive (40-meg) and enough ram at least 4 meg.
Will it work.  Also is the 4-meg mesured by word size or is it 4 megx8
not 4megx16 or 4mrgx32.
--
 [=]    [=-=]    [=]
 | |=-=-| c |-=-=| |

(iago@ucscb.ucsc.edu)

Leibowitz's Rule:
	When hammering a nail, you will never hit your finger if you

josef@nixpbe.nixdorf.de (josef Moellers) (12/12/90)

In <9952@darkstar.ucsc.edu> iago@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (tsource) writes:

>I am going to be buying a sco unix machine that is a sx. I can not afford
>a larger machine.  SCO said they never tried on a sx but shaw no reson why
>not, but refused to let me talk to one their tech people.  So I am stuck
>asking here if I have enough drive (40-meg) and enough ram at least 4 meg.
>Will it work.  Also is the 4-meg mesured by word size or is it 4 megx8
>not 4megx16 or 4mrgx32.

One of my colleagues (sp?) has SCO ???? running on his sx box and it
looks fine.
40Meg disk is a little low, but with a bare-bone system You might get
away with it. If, however, You want to install things like ODT (or X),
look out for BIG disks (we use 2x76MB, and they're almost full).
4MB mem might be fine, the OS takes "only" about 2 MB, depending on the
number of features You enable (STREAMS, ...)

--
| Josef Moellers		| c/o Siemens Nixdorf Informationssysteme AG |
|  USA: mollers.pad@nixdorf.com	| Abt. STO-XS 113			     |

aris@tabbs.UUCP (Aris Stathakis) (12/12/90)

In <9952@darkstar.ucsc.edu> iago@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (tsource) writes:

>I am going to be buying a sco unix machine that is a sx. I can not afford
>a larger machine.  SCO said they never tried on a sx but shaw no reson why
>not, but refused to let me talk to one their tech people.  So I am stuck
>asking here if I have enough drive (40-meg) and enough ram at least 4 meg.
>Will it work.  Also is the 4-meg mesured by word size or is it 4 megx8
>not 4megx16 or 4mrgx32.

SCO UNIX and SCO XENIX will work on a 386SX.  I think SCO's mininum
requirement for SCO UNIX is 40MB of disk and 2 MB of ram, so you
should be ok.

Aris

--
 Aris Stathakis | Bang: ..!uunet!ddsw1!olsa99!tabbs!aris or aris@tabbs.UUCP
-                                                                          -

ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) (12/14/90)

In article <9952@darkstar.ucsc.edu> iago@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (tsource) writes:
>I am going to be buying a sco unix machine that is a sx. I can not afford
>a larger machine.  SCO said they never tried on a sx but shaw no reson why
>not, but refused to let me talk to one their tech people.

SCO unix will run on an sx.  I've been running an PCBrand sx with it
for severral months.

>So I am stuck
>asking here if I have enough drive (40-meg) and enough ram at least 4 meg.

Disk: not if you want to do anything.  Base OS+extended utilities
(things like csh and vi)+swap run about 32MB.  Thats without
networking, dos or X.  Certainly without any development tools.

Memory: 4 is probably fine if your not running X and/or lot's of
people logged in.

>Will it work.  Also is the 4-meg mesured by word size or is it 4 megx8
>not 4megx16 or 4mrgx32.

Memory is measured x8.

--
	ken seefried iii	"A sneer, a snarl, a whip that
	ken@dali.gatech.edu	 stings...these are a few of

fields-doug@cs.yale.edu (Doug Fields) (12/14/90)

What about running it on an SX with an IDE drive? Such as mine...

Doug

--
Doug Fields -POB 1789 Yale Station, New Haven, CT 06520- (FAX) +1 203 661-2996
Internet: fields-doug@cs.yale.edu <-- Best to reach me. Voice: +1 203 436-0184

josef@nixpbe.nixdorf.de (josef Moellers) (12/14/90)

In <18638@hydra.gatech.EDU> ken@dali.gatech.edu (Ken Seefried iii) writes:

>In article <9952@darkstar.ucsc.edu> iago@ucscb.UCSC.EDU (tsource) writes:
>>I am going to be buying a sco unix machine that is a sx. I can not afford
>>a larger machine.  SCO said they never tried on a sx but shaw no reson why
>>not, but refused to let me talk to one their tech people.

>SCO unix will run on an sx.  I've been running an PCBrand sx with it
>for severral months.
	 ^^
But then, every now and then the CPU gets a little confused B-{)