[comp.unix.sysv386] gnu gcc/g++/gdb for sco unix

aed@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Davidson) (12/11/90)

I have been trying to build gcc on sco unix for some time know. Chip gave me
a set fof patches but I still have the same reacuring problem

5% more err.lis7
        rcc -c -g   -I. -I. -I./config fold-const.c
        rcc -c -g   -I. -I. -I./config rtl.c
"rtl.c", line 175: warning: illegal pointer combination, op =
"rtl.c", line 243: warning: illegal pointer combination, op !=
"rtl.c", line 249: warning: illegal pointer combination, op !=
"rtl.c", line 356: warning: illegal pointer combination, op !=
"rtl.c", line 392: warning: illegal pointer combination, op !=
"rtl.c", line 445: warning: illegal pointer combination, op !=
"rtl.c", line 660: warning: illegal pointer combination, op =
"rtl.c", line 679: warnng: illegal pointer combination, op :
"rtl.c", line 679: illegal types in :
*** Error code 1

Stop.

I would appriciate any ideas. (it is hard to debug someone elses code)

thanks.

ps it has nothing to do with larry walls patch program

andy

drmorris@athena.mit.edu (David R Morrison) (12/11/90)

In article <18496@netcom.UUCP> aed@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Davidson) writes:

   I have been trying to build gcc on sco unix for some time know. Chip gave me
   a set fof patches but I still have the same reacuring problem

   5% more err.lis7
	   rcc -c -g   -I. -I. -I./config fold-const.c
	   rcc -c -g   -I. -I. -I./config rtl.c
   *warnings*
   "rtl.c", line 679: illegal types in :
   *** Error code 1

   Stop.

   I would appriciate any ideas. (it is hard to debug someone elses code)

   thanks.

I had this exact problem last summer.  What fixed it:
(this is from memory, so check me)

	  XVEC (return_rtx, i) = (list_counter
				  ? rtvec_alloc (list_counter)
				  : NULL);
	  if (list_counter)
	     { XVEC (return_rtx, i) = rtvec_alloc (list_counter) }
	  else
	     { XVEC (return_rtx, i) = NULL}

I assume it is an rcc bug.  This should be put in the SCO patches, if it
isn't there already...

		Dave Morrison

sef@kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan) (12/11/90)

In article <DRMORRIS.90Dec10233201@hal-2000.mit.edu> drmorris@athena.mit.edu (David R Morrison) writes:
>I assume it is an rcc bug.  This should be put in the SCO patches, if it
>isn't there already...

I didn't remember this until I saw the code.  I am fairly certain this is
because one of the pointers is a 'void*', and I don't believe that rcc likes
'void*'.

Either that, or the left-hand side of the ':?' expression was a type it
didn't like (possibly an enum?).  It's been a *long* time since I've
compiled gcc, so I don't remember completely.  Sorry...

I mostly used /bin/cc to compile gcc, and resorted to rcc a couple of times
when cc failed.  If you use rcc, remember to use define M_UNIX, M_COFF, and
M_I386 (i386 and unix should already be defined, and set to 1, but you may
want to stick them in there, just in case).

sef@kithrup.COM  |  I had a bellyache at the time."

chip@tct.uucp (Chip Salzenberg) (12/15/90)

According to drmorris@athena.mit.edu (David R Morrison):
>   I have been trying to build gcc on sco unix for some time know. Chip gave
>   me a set of patches but I still have the same reacuring problem

My patches included fixes for the SCO /usr/include directory.  The
compile errors shown are usually due to an incorrect definition of
NULL -- the AT&T compiler ("rcc") can't handle "((void *)0)".

An aside -- Can you believe that SCO'S OWN HEADERS have THREE
different definitions for NULL?  Wait, what am I saying?  Of course
you can believe it...  :-( :-(

My patches for /usr/include are one of the files in my GCC patch kit
for SCO UNIX.  The filename is "SCO.include".
--
Chip Salzenberg at Teltronics/TCT     <chip@tct.uucp>, <uunet!pdn!tct!chip>
"Please don't send me any more of yer scandalous email, Mr. Salzenberg..."