[comp.unix.sysv386] ISC2.2 DOSSETTE BROKEN AGAIN - old news?

DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) (12/07/90)

The ISC2.2 Dossette will NOT recognize any 1.2 mb floppy that is formated
by any REAL command.com. Is this old news? The ISC2.0.2 Dossette works
with the 1.2MB disk. Everytime I try to access the 1.2MB disk with
2.2 dossette, it complains about the diskette not being present. Is there
a way to get around this? The VPIX that comes with ISC2.2 also does not
recognize the 1.2 diskette - even when I tell it that B disk is using
/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt. (But, the dossette can FORMAT a 1.2 diskette... strange)

Can I use 2.0.2 dossette on 2.2?

/bruce
deadhead@cup.portal.com

richard@octel.UUCP (Richard Karasik) (12/08/90)

In article <36634@cup.portal.com> DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>The ISC2.2 Dossette will NOT recognize any 1.2 mb floppy that is formated
>by any REAL command.com. Is this old news? The ISC2.0.2 Dossette works
>with the 1.2MB disk. Everytime I try to access the 1.2MB disk with
>2.2 dossette, it complains about the diskette not being present. Is there
>a way to get around this? The VPIX that comes with ISC2.2 also does not
>recognize the 1.2 diskette - even when I tell it that B disk is using
>/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt. (But, the dossette can FORMAT a 1.2 diskette... strange)

This is a known problem with ISC and has nothing to do with format.

As of this writing ISC hasn';t the faintest idea why it breaks.

usually looks like

FD0 not present  blah bla blha

the work around is to put another scratch diskette into the drive, and
cat * >/dev/fd0
where * is any number of files -sometimes one character will work sometimes
100K.  At the comclusion of this, put your
original diskette back in and try again to get your info on or off.

It seems that cat >/dev/fd0 heals the wound temporarily.

(BOY is this a corker).

Richard karasik
richard@octel.com

gsteckel@vergil.East.Sun.COM (Geoff Steckel - Sun BOS Hardware) (12/09/90)

>In article <36634@cup.portal.com> DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>>The ISC2.2 Dossette will NOT recognize any 1.2 mb floppy that is formated
>>by any REAL command.com. Is this old news? The ISC2.0.2 Dossette works
>>with the 1.2MB disk. Everytime I try to access the 1.2MB disk with
>>2.2 dossette, it complains about the diskette not being present. Is there
>>a way to get around this? The VPIX that comes with ISC2.2 also does not
>>recognize the 1.2 diskette - even when I tell it that B disk is using
>>/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt. (But, the dossette can FORMAT a 1.2 diskette... strange)

I've seen this problem repeatedly on my system.  It seems to have
something to do with the automatic format recognition (360K/1.2M) code.
My current workaround is to `od /dev/rdsk/f0q15dt' - use the device
name that explicitly matches the floppy format.  Once the system
has been forcibly told what density/format the floppy is, it seems
to work correctly until shutdown.  It also seems to correctly auto
detect format on subsequent floppies.

I hope this information is useful to someone.
	geoff steckel (gwes@wjh12.harvard.EDU)
			(...!husc6!wjh12!omnivore!gws)
Disclaimer: I am not affiliated with Sun Microsystems, despite the From: line.
This posting is entirely the author's responsibility.

egray@osiris.cso.uiuc.edu (Emmet P. Gray) (12/09/90)

In article <36634@cup.portal.com> DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>The ISC2.2 Dossette will NOT recognize any 1.2 mb floppy that is formated
>by any REAL command.com. Is this old news? The ISC2.0.2 Dossette works
>with the 1.2MB disk. Everytime I try to access the 1.2MB disk with
>2.2 dossette, it complains about the diskette not being present. Is there
>a way to get around this? The VPIX that comes with ISC2.2 also does not
>recognize the 1.2 diskette - even when I tell it that B disk is using
>/dev/rdsk/f1q15dt. (But, the dossette can FORMAT a 1.2 diskette... strange)

An alternate solution might be to use a set of programs called Mtools.
Mtools is a public domain collection of programs to allow Unix systems
to read, write and manipulate files on an MSDOS filesystem (typically a
diskette).  Mtools supports "real" MSDOS hard disk partitions, VP/ix
disk "images", multiple density floppies, etc.

The following MSDOS commands are emulated:

Mtool 		MSDOS
name		equivalent	Description
-----		----		-----------
mattrib		ATTRIB		change MSDOS file attribute flags
mcd		CD		change MSDOS directory
mcopy		COPY		copy MSDOS files to/from Unix
mdel		DEL/ERASE	delete an MSDOS file
mdir		DIR		display an MSDOS directory
mformat		FORMAT		add an MSDOS filesystem to a low level format
mlabel		LABEL		make an MSDOS volume label
mmd		MD/MKDIR	make an MSDOS sub directory
mrd		RD/RMDIR	remove an MSDOS sub directory
mread		COPY		low level read (copy) an MSDOS file to Unix
mren		REN/RENAME	rename an existing MSDOS file
mtype		TYPE		display contents of an MSDOS file
mwrite		COPY		low level write (copy) a Unix file to MSDOS

The current version of Mtools is v2.0.3 (meaning version 2.0 at patch
level 3).

Mtools v2.0 was posted to the unix-pc.sources news group (and mailed to
the moderator of comp.sources.unix) on the 17th of September 1990.
Since then, patches 1, 2 and 3 have been posted to unix-pc.sources,
comp.sources.bugs, and emailed to Rich Salz.

In addition, the current version of Mtools and all the patches are
available via anonymous ftp from cerl.cecer.army.mil (129.229.1.101).

Emmet P. Gray				US Army, HQ III Corps & Fort Hood
...!uunet!uiucuxc!fthood!egray		Attn: AFZF-DE-ENV
fthood!egray@uxc.cso.uiuc.edu		Directorate of Engineering & Housing
					Environmental Management Office
					Fort Hood, TX 76544-5057

jon@hitachi.uucp (Jon Ryshpan) (12/15/90)

In article <358@octelb.octel.UUCP> richard@octel.UUCP (Richard Karasik) writes:
>In article <36634@cup.portal.com> DeadHead@cup.portal.com (Bruce M Ong) writes:
>>The ISC2.2 Dossette will NOT recognize any 1.2 mb floppy that is formated
>>by any REAL command.com.
>
>This is a known problem with ISC and has nothing to do with format.

I've seen a lot of this too.  The select light on the floppy comes on,
then nothing happens except for the console messages

	FD(0) : diskette not present - please insert

Here's my fix.  I wrote a program called starta to read one byte from
/dev/fd0.  Here is is:

======= ======= Starta starts here ======= =======
#include <stdio.h>

main(argc, argv)
int argc;
char **argv;
{
	FILE *fd;

	if ((fd = fopen("/dev/rfd0", "r")) == NULL) {
		perror("cant open /dev/rfd0");
		exit(1);
	}

	if (getc(fd) == EOF) {
		perror("cant access /dev/rfd0");
		exit(1);
	}
	exit(0);
}
======= ======= Starta ends here ======= =======

Then I replaced dossette with the following shell script:

	#!/bin/csh
	starta; /usr/bin/dossette $*

Similar scripts for dosdir, doscopy, etc.

This all seems to work OK.  Dossette seems to be "smart" and to read
the floppy in a way that makes it not work.  Ordinary "dumb" accesses
like the one in starta act as specified in the manual.

The "#!/bin/csh" is important.  If you execute a similar script under
sh, it doesn't work right for dosdir, etc.  Dosdir starts before starta
can finish initializing the drive, so you get one "FD(0) not present"
message before dosdir begins its work.  Wierd no?

It would be nice if I could get the getc() to fail if there is some
problem, line a diskette really not present.  Unfortunately what
happens is that you get a series of messages on the *console* telling
you to put in the floppy.  This is not useful if the console is not the
currently active screen.

Jonathan Ryshpan		<...!uunet!hitachi!jon>

M/S 420				(415) 244-7369
Hitachi America Ltd.
2000 Sierra Pt. Pkwy.
Brisbane CA 94005-1819