[comp.unix.sysv386] lousy manuals

richard@xanth.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) (12/07/90)

I have the Prentice Hall AT&T System V 386 manuals.  In the
Administrator's Reference manual the id* commands for reconfiguring the
kernel refer to  the Programmer's Reference manual section 4.  Imagine
my suprise! section 4 doesn't have mtune, stune or anything relating to
tunable parameters.

Do I have a collector's item :-) or are all the Prentice Hall manuals
incomplete?

Richard A. Griffiths              ...uunet!ingr!b11!xanth!richard   (UUCP)
Intergraph Corp.                  richard@b11.ingr.com          (Internet)
"Part of this D minus belongs to God."  - Bart Simpson

dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) (12/15/90)

In article <9583@b11.ingr.com> richard@xanth.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) writes:
>I have the Prentice Hall AT&T System V 386 manuals.  In the
>Administrator's Reference manual the id* commands for reconfiguring the
>kernel refer to  the Programmer's Reference manual section 4.  Imagine
>my suprise! section 4 doesn't have mtune, stune or anything relating to
>tunable parameters.
>
>Do I have a collector's item :-) or are all the Prentice Hall manuals
>incomplete?

I have the Prentice Hall AT&T System V/386 Release 3.2 Admin and Prog Ref
manuals.  section 4 (in prog ref) definitely does have mtune(4), stune(4)
and a few other entries relating to tunable parameters.  Either the manuals
have are not 3.2 (maybe 3.0?) or they are collector's items!

David
 David Dawes (dawes@suphys.physics.su.oz.au) DoD#210   | Phone: +612 692 2639
 School of Physics, University of Sydney, Australia    | Fax:   +612 660 2903

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (12/16/90)

In article <1990Dec15.031230.20266@metro.ucc.su.OZ.AU> dawes@suphys.physics.su.OZ.AU (David Dawes) writes:
>In article <9583@b11.ingr.com> richard@xanth.ingr.com (Richard Griffiths ) writes:
>>I have the Prentice Hall AT&T System V 386 manuals.  In the
>>Administrator's Reference manual the id* commands for reconfiguring the
>>kernel refer to  the Programmer's Reference manual section 4.  Imagine
>>my suprise! section 4 doesn't have mtune, stune or anything relating to
>>tunable parameters.

>Either the manuals
>have are not 3.2 (maybe 3.0?) or they are collector's items!

I suspect David is right.  Prentice Hall was out the 3.2 Programmer's
Reference Manuals for several months.  An ISC UNIX I got last month
came with a 3.0 version of the manual.  The ISBN (on the back cover)
for the 3.2 version is 0-13-944901-9.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)