[comp.unix.sysv386] FAS and the Intel/Bell HUB Board???

thssdwv@iitmax.IIT.EDU (David William Vrona) (12/15/90)

I am considering the purchase of a used Intel/Bell HUB serial board.

My plan is to replace the 6 soldered 8250 UARTs with sockets and then install
the 16550AN UARTs.

My questions are:

1) Will this be FAS compatible?

2) Has anyone out there done this?

3) How are the interrupts handled?  One for the whole board?

Thanks, and happy holidays.....

gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de (Uwe Doering) (12/16/90)

thssdwv@iitmax.IIT.EDU (David William Vrona) writes:

>I am considering the purchase of a used Intel/Bell HUB serial board.
>
>My plan is to replace the 6 soldered 8250 UARTs with sockets and then install
>the 16550AN UARTs.
>
>My questions are:
>
>1) Will this be FAS compatible?

No. The current release of FAS (2.07) doesn't support the HUB-6 card. You
may want to wait for FAS 2.08 which will have HUB-6 support. But be careful.
There have been reports that NS16550A chips can cause problems on these
boards. Seems to be a hardware problem. Therefor, when FAS 2.08 comes out
you should buy only one or two NS16550A at first until you know whether it
works or not. On the other hand, because the 8250 chips aren't supported
by FAS (since release 2.07) you need to throw them out anyway.

>3) How are the interrupts handled?  One for the whole board?

Yes. All six chips use a shared interrupt.

     Uwe
--
Uwe Doering  |  INET : gemini@geminix.in-berlin.de