[comp.unix.sysv386] hardware requirements for ISC X 1.2

mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) (12/16/90)

>mason@oct1.UUCP (David Mason) writes:
>> Can anybody tell me if a '387 makes a difference with ISC
>> 2.2 X?
>
> I can't say, I have always had one in all the machines I own. ISC
>claims it won't help much, as they borrowed some of X11 r4 and got rid
>of most of the FP intensive stuff...

This was confirmed to me in private mail from somebody with an ISC
address.  I wrote back asking permisson to quote on the net, but got
nothing, so I'll summarise the gist of it.

The importance of a numeric co-processor depends on if the X application
requires it.  In ISC X 1.2 server, the X11R4 arc and wideline code has
been included in what is an X11R3 server, to eliminate almost all the
floating point calculations in the server.
David Mason                       | "Strange the mind,
mason@oct1.UUCP                   |    that very fiery particle,
"olsa99!oct1!mason"@ddsw1.MCS.COM |  Should let itself be snuffed out
...!ddsw1!olsa99!oct1!mason       |     by an article."       Byron