[comp.unix.sysv386] ODT X run time with the Logitech mouse

swade@.berkeley.edu (Wade Shen) (12/05/90)

Recently, I installed ODT with the windowing package but i have not been able to
get the mouse to move.  the cursor comes on screen and moves in an erratic manner
 when i move the mouse. Sometimes it does not move at all... I've set up the mouse
 on tty2a(com2) and have tried the usemouse program successfully... Can anyone
 help??

	Here is the configuration of my machine if that will help:

		386-33 64k cache
		8 MB of memory
		90 meg unix partition (with only ODT os,view,dos installed)
		Trident VGA card
		SCSI HD controller (adaptec 1542b)
		2 serial ports

				Thank you

bent@lccinc.UUCP (Ben Taylor) (12/07/90)

swade@.berkeley.edu (Wade Shen) writes:

>I installed ODT with the windowing package but i have not been able to
>get the mouse to move.The cursor comes on screen and moves in an erratic manner
> help??

If you have a Logitec C9 serial mouse you will have to uncomment a line in
/usr/lib/event/devices for the "m4 Logitec serial mouse"

Posted by Paul A. Fischer  uunet!bohdan!paul

mark@gizzmo.UUCP (mark hilliard) (12/07/90)

In article <282@lccinc.UUCP> bent@lccinc.UUCP (Ben Taylor) writes:
>swade@.berkeley.edu (Wade Shen) writes:
>If you have a Logitec C9 serial mouse you will have to uncomment a line in

I have had nothing but problems with Interactive X11 and the AGE server
software for the #9 board used with the logitec C9 mouse.  In frustration
I plugged in a C7 mouse and everything started working.  With x now running,
I removed the C7 and plugged in the C9 and found that it now worked!  I then
stopped x, and re started it to find the C9 dead again.  I called AGE and
logitec only to be told that there is some kind of a bug in the C9 that
responds inproperly to some status command.

You might also wish to try this with your SCO.

Good luck!

|  Mark Hilliard, N2HHR                         |    AWK is not just a   |
|  Fax 315-986-5882                             |        LANGUAGE        |
|  mark@gizzmo.kodak.com                        |   It is a way of LIFE! |

klm@gozer.UUCP (Kevin L. McBride) (12/15/90)

In article <1990Dec4.201946.3672@agate.berkeley.edu> swade@.berkeley.edu (Wade Shen) writes:
>Recently, I installed ODT with the windowing package but i have not been able to
>get the mouse to move.  the cursor comes on screen and moves in an erratic manner
> when i move the mouse. Sometimes it does not move at all... I've set up the mouse
> on tty2a(com2) and have tried the usemouse program successfully... Can anyone
> help??

Try using a different type of mouse and see if that helps.  I have also
recently seen problems with the Logitech Serial Mouse on SCO ODT.  I've
tried fiddling with the hardware (interrupts, etc.) to no avail.  My
personal opinion is that SCO's Logitech Mouse driver may be broken.

I have tried this on both an Intel 302 and a DEC 325 and had the same
results.

The Microsoft Bus Mice seem to work fine on ODT.  The Logitech mice
work great on ISC UNIX.

--
Kevin L. McBride     |Contract programming (on and offsite)   |Brewmeister and
President            |X, Motif, TCP/IP, UNIX, VAX/VMS,        |Bottle Washer

aed@netcom.UUCP (Andrew Davidson) (12/17/90)

I use the logitech bus mouse and have had no problems at all. If you are
having troble do not wast your time. The bus mouse cost less than $100.
I think I have seen adds recently for about $75

andy
                  "bede-bede-bede Thats all Folks"
				Porky Pig
Andy Davidson
Woodside CA.
aed@netcom

glenm@bcars318.UUCP (Glen Martin) (12/17/90)

In article <1990Dec4.201946.3672@agate.berkeley.edu> swade@.berkeley.edu (Wade Shen) writes:
>Recently, I installed ODT with the windowing package but i have not been able to
>get the mouse to move.  the cursor comes on screen and moves in an erratic manner
> when i move the mouse. Sometimes it does not move at all... I've set up the mouse
> on tty2a(com2) and have tried the usemouse program successfully... Can anyone
> help??

Sometimes it helps if you wait until the server is ALL the way up, all windows present, etc. IE. wait for the hard drive to STOP. But yeah, it seems to be broken ...
Glen Martin  |Bitnet:  glenm@bnr.ca                   |  Phone: (613) 763-7299
BNR Ltd.     |  UUCP:  ..uunet!bnrgate!bcars218!glenm |  FAX:   (613) 763-2626
           BNR may own my fingers, but my opinions are all mine.

neifert@pws.bull.com (Bill Neifert) (12/18/90)

>>Recently, I installed ODT with the windowing package but i have not been able to
>>get the mouse to move.  the cursor comes on screen and moves in an erratic manner
>> when i move the mouse. Sometimes it does not move at all... I've set up the mouse
>> on tty2a(com2) and have tried the usemouse program successfully... Can anyone
>> help??

>Sometimes it helps if you wait until the server is ALL the way up, all windows present, etc. IE. wait for the hard drive to STOP. But yeah, it seems to be broken ...

Try making the modifications to the /usr/lib/event/ files mentioned in the
release notes.  They fixed the problem for me.