[comp.unix.sysv386] libg.a for Esix Rev D is hosed, 'is not in archive format'

steve@hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) (12/16/90)

When I do 'ar t /usr/lib/libg.a' I get:

	ar: /usr/lib/libg.a not in archive format

Could someone please mail me theirs (uuencoded)?
Thanks.  -- SMY
--
Stephen M. Youndt       /   "Remember, no matter where you go,
uunet!hacker!steve     /     there you are."  -- B. Banzai

john@karnak.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.) (12/18/90)

In article <207@hacker.UUCP> steve@hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) writes:

>When I do 'ar t /usr/lib/libg.a' I get:
>
>	ar: /usr/lib/libg.a not in archive format
>
>Could someone please mail me theirs (uuencoded)?
>Thanks.  -- SMY

Mine is the same way.  Perhaps it isn't hosed.
--
2LT John B. Meaders, Jr.  510 Manchester Ct., Hopewell, VA  23860
Voice:  804-458-2983  Net: john@karnak.cactus.org or john@karnak.sigma.com

tim@delluk.uucp (Tim Wright) (12/18/90)

In <1990Dec18.035730.4164@karnak.cactus.org> john@karnak.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.) writes:

>In article <207@hacker.UUCP> steve@hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) writes:
>>
>>When I do 'ar t /usr/lib/libg.a' I get:
>>
>>	ar: /usr/lib/libg.a not in archive format
>>
>>Could someone please mail me theirs (uuencoded)?
>>Thanks.  -- SMY

>Mine is the same way.  Perhaps it isn't hosed.

Quite correct - it's really an object file, not an archive. However ld
doesn't care and it means you can say -lg rather than /usr/lib/libg.o !!

Tim
--
Tim Wright, Dell Computer Corp. (UK) | Email address
Bracknell, Berkshire, RG12 1RW       | Domain: tim@dell.co.uk

john@jwt.UUCP (John Temples) (12/19/90)

In article <1990Dec18.035730.4164@karnak.cactus.org> john@karnak.cactus.org (John B. Meaders Jr.) writes:
>In article <207@hacker.UUCP> steve@hacker.UUCP (Stephen M. Youndt) writes:
>>	ar: /usr/lib/libg.a not in archive format
>
>Mine is the same way.  Perhaps it isn't hosed.

libg.a is actually a .o file.  Try doing 'file libg.a',  'nm libg.a',
and 'dis libg.a'  What is libg.a for, anyway?  I remember using it
years ago for something, but I couldn't find anything in the docs
about it.
--
John W. Temples -- john@jwt.UUCP (uunet!jwt!john)